Soft pencil eraser

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
Ok, I have been making my kids a penny collection, nothing fancy, just good shape pennies and as many years as I can gather together. One method I used years ago when I was *cough* a teenager was a soft pencil eraser. First of all, I was always told not to clean anything if I don't know the value prior so if you have something valuable or don't want to chance cleaning, I wouldn't do this. Anyway, I simply take a large eraser or pencil eraser and clean up the penny or coin. Some erasers are abrasive and you may not want to use one of those, just a soft basic eraser and not the cheap-o erasers that are hardened, that just smears.
You should end up with a shiny coin. I do this on metals where I want to know the date or make but don't want to ruin the object so I just lightly take the eraser a bit over the stamp. Once again, if for total value of the object, I wouldn't do this but just for keepsake, works good.

Paul

EDIT: If you want a REALLY shiny penny, I use white distilled vinegar and a fair amount of salt in a cup, let the coin set for 5 min. If really bad, scrub the penny gently with salt in the vinegar, rinse good, dry off immediately, then take a soft eraser to it. It will look like new. Once again, DON'T do this if you feel it may be worth anything.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
PChammer said:
Ok, I have been making my kids a penny collection, nothing fancy, just good shape pennies and as many years as I can gather together. One method I used years ago when I was *cough* a teenager was a soft pencil eraser. First of all, I was always told not to clean anything if I don't know the value prior so if you have something valuable or don't want to chance cleaning, I wouldn't do this. Anyway, I simply take a large eraser or pencil eraser and clean up the penny or coin. Some erasers are abrasive and you may not want to use one of those, just a soft basic eraser and not the cheap-o erasers that are hardened, that just smears.
You should end up with a shiny coin. I do this on metals where I want to know the date or make but don't want to ruin the object so I just lightly take the eraser a bit over the stamp. Once again, if for total value of the object, I wouldn't do this but just for keepsake, works good.

Paul
Thanks, Paul. To me, sounds like a lot of work just to clean-up a penny. I just put 'em back in circulation after a quick wash in soapy water and maybe a scrub with soft toothbrush to get rid of dirt. After checking to make sure they aren't valuable, of course.

EDIT: If you want a REALLY shiny penny, I use white distilled vinegar and a fair amount of salt in a cup, let the coin set for 5 min. If really bad, scrub the penny gently with salt in the vinegar, rinse good, dry off immediately, then take a soft eraser to it. It will look like new. Once again, DON'T do this if you feel it may be worth anything.

OP
OP
P

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
Thanks, Paul. To me, sounds like a lot of work just to clean-up a penny. I just put 'em back in circulation after a quick wash in soapy water and maybe a scrub with soft toothbrush to get rid of dirt. After checking to make sure they aren't valuable, of course.

Actually it's not. After throwing a handful of pennies in a bowl of vinegar and salt, I just rinse, dry, take an eraser to them to shine em up and it only takes about a half an hour for a good amount of pennies. They look great for a collection :icon_thumleft:

I also found that dollar store hot sauce will clean them even faster! :wink: And it doesn't leave as much residue.

Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread