Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: i phone I found

Very long shot but you could try to give it a soak in warm water and rinse and then airdry for several days. I have drowned my detector more than once and simply let it airdry or use a blow dryer on a medium setting. Once everything was good and dry, the detector has come back to life with no issues.

or

You could take it to a dealer and see what they would charge to take it apart and clean it and put it back into operation.

Only thoughts I could come up with.

DaChief

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the SIM card could probably help ID the owner
But whether it would matter to them now is unknown.
Most peopleWho loose Phones Immediately
Get it Replaced

wavecrazed

Jul 21, 2009
Orlando FLorida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Excallibur 1000, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Check Craisglist. Lots of buyers there.

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer

Very good find. If it's anything like the Virgin Mobile phone I have. Open up the back to let it dry out and see if there is some kind of ID # there. If so, maybe you can go to Iphone website and email them the number and they can contact the owner. Or if you want to spen some money, you could go to Radio Shack and get a charger for it. Try charging the battery, hoping it will work and check to see if you can find the owner somehow thru their friends. Lots of luck.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Always someone interested in a broken phone for parts, you never know.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

Throw it away, if its not a ring, coin, or anything notably old relic wise; just chuck it. I phones like that aren't worth anything.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro

The problem with I phones/ I pod touches are they aren't made to be opened up. They are considered a disposable item once the battery goes (coming from the owner of one). Also the problem like most cell phones is once they are immersed in water or get wet, the charging circuitry for the battery get's fried and the cost to replace/repair is more than the thing is worth.
I'd say if you don't have an Ipod charger, take to someone who does. If it wont charge, then its garbage. IT may work without a battery while hooked up to a charger. In that case the original user might be able to recover data from their phone to I-tunes. Note, you if you do hook it up to a computer to charge make sure you don't tell your computer to sync to it.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250

wash it off clean all contacts and buttons with a cotton swab and alcohol take the back off do the same thing put it in a bag of rice for about 3-4 days buy a charger charge it up if it works then try and ifnd the owner if it is diaabled due to loss and and it still powers up get a sim card for it or get it unlocked and use or sell best advice in the world

brookfield

Jan 9, 2010
Utah
Detector(s) used
Explorer se Fishercz3d

I think it would make a great target for for my 357 mag. HHjs

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you are going to just dispose of it, I will buy it from you, I need two parts off of it for mine. :icon_pirat:

Thanks, Mark

Sim_Player

Jan 12, 2010
Camano Island, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Tesoro Cutlass2

Clean it up, dry it out, and try to reboot it.

These are small PC's not just cellphones.

I'm on an Ipod Touch now.

~Sim

Go Bills

Jul 7, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

I work in "computer stuff" for a fortune 500 company without getting too technical about it.

A broken iPhone without a cracked screen that will power on can be worth over $300 on eBay for what I'm guessing is that model (3g, 8GB). Go search "broken iphone" or "As is iphone" on completed listings on eBay. It might be the slightly older 2G model though, I'm not sure from the picture. I have owned several iPhones- the trouble is when you lose one and you are not eligible to upgrade - you need to buy a phone out of plan which costs $500 for the cheapest one - hence the market for parts to fix them or buying broken ones. Also you can hack an iPhone so it can run on TMobiles network as well as AT&T and Sprint's in the USA and a whole slew of them abroad. People want to buy a used phone w/o a contract and use it that way.

If you want to return it - go to a website like monoprice.com or ebay and buy a cheap charger ($5 or less). See if it powers up. You can also buy a USB SIM card reader from monoprice, meritline or ebay and read the SIM card in it on your computer and determine the owner that way. If you contact them and they have purchased another phone - ask if you can keep it. If they say yes - sell it on eBay without the SIM card and you just made $200-$300 (or more if it was a 32GB or 16GB)

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Still lookin for my first iphone lol.

OP
OP
T

txpathfinder

Feb 4, 2008
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Well I learned a lot from that post. Thanks to everyone who contributed. Sold it to a guy who advertised on Craigslist that he buys iphones. He paid me $50.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread