🥇 BANNER Solid Gold Watch With Family Connection!

staninbji

Nov 26, 2016
All over!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting in a small park in Bangor, Maine the other day and got a very deep quarter signal. So imagine my surprise when this pops out! IMG_20190726_101020679_HDR.jpg IMG_20190726_101146715_HDR~2.jpg

A ladies' gold watch with the initials "RWT". After getting it home, cleaning it up and managing to pry the back off of it, the owner's name was revealed: "Ruth W. Thomas" IMG_20190727_141116095_HDR.jpg Then under the back cap, the serial number indicates that this watch was made in 1896. Using this data and a genealogy site, I found her! She was born near here in 1873 and was living in Bangor when she got married in 1899. Just as a curiosity, I decided to see if there was any connection between us.

Keep in mind that I'm from Minnesota, but my mother's side of the family was from Maine and colonial Massachusetts. It turns out that she was a distant cousin of my great-grandfather! She never had any children so I'm inclined to think that it's mine to keep. I didn't know it at the time, but I made an awesome discovery and a relic return at the same time! Thanks for looking and HH!!!

Upvote 124

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m voting banner. The whole thing is just to cool

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AWESOME FIND! I wouldn't recommend bathing it in any rust-off concoction. I'd leave it as is, but it's your find, so do as you please! Nice research, well done.

OP
OP
S

staninbji

Nov 26, 2016
All over!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late to the dance, I know but I gotta say I love it!
Geneaology has been a bedfellow of mine for many years.
And this is phenominal!

Thank you. I spent most of the late winter/early spring researching my family tree. Discovered many things! ��

OP
OP
S

staninbji

Nov 26, 2016
All over!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m voting banner. The whole thing is just to cool

Thanks! I don't know about banner, but just way too awesome not to share. ��

OP
OP
S

staninbji

Nov 26, 2016
All over!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME FIND! I wouldn't recommend bathing it in any rust-off concoction. I'd leave it as is, but it's your find, so do as you please! Nice research, well done.

Thanks, you're probably right. HH!

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting in a small park in Bangor, Maine the other day and got a very deep quarter signal. So imagine my surprise when this pops out! View attachment 1738794 View attachment 1738795

A ladies' gold watch with the initials "RWT". After getting it home, cleaning it up and managing to pry the back off of it, the owner's name was revealed: "Ruth W. Thomas" View attachment 1738797 Then under the back cap, the serial number indicates that this watch was made in 1896. Using this data and a genealogy site, I found her! She was born near here in 1873 and was living in Bangor when she got married in 1899. Just as a curiosity, I decided to see if there was any connection between us.

Keep in mind that I'm from Minnesota, but my mother's side of the family was from Maine and colonial Massachusetts. It turns out that she was a distant cousin of my great-grandfather! She never had any children so I'm inclined to think that it's mine to keep. I didn't know it at the time, but I made an awesome discovery and a relic return at the same time! Thanks for looking and HH!!!
Total Mind Blowing Amazing! I don't think anyone's found a relation to a person from a found object on here!
This gets Banner for sure and 2 each of :occasion14: :occasion14: :headbang::headbang: Jon

goldbill

May 6, 2009
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites v3 deus v4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A beauty befor the cleanup

Congratulations Stan . She is a beauty for sure . Bill

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BIG CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!:occasion14:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome! Banner vote.

gwcracker

Aug 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to see it after cleaning the green off. Solid gold is really beautiful.
What Karat is marked?

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder why she never married? Heck, I'd have married her just for that watch! I bet that baby was mighty fine back in the day.

Huntster54

Jan 26, 2017
Detector(s) used
Antique whites TR-goldmaster

Under water model to be posted
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Stan. Beautiful workman/womanship on that piece. Do you think it's white gold on the outside and regular gold on inside parts and movement?

Be glad you didn't find anyone still attached to it.

Great pull.

OP
OP
S

staninbji

Nov 26, 2016
All over!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She did eventually marry, a couple of years after this watch was made. Maybe it was a courting gift? We'll probably never know. Thanks for the like!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread