Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Solid *Tombac* Colonial Shoe Buckle

My brother and I scouted a new set of fields that I have been researching and it paid off big time. The grounds are still so dry in NJ and its hard to pull a decent signal at any depth but this new field definitely has potential. This buckle was a solid 12" in the ground mixed with iron,burnt wood, ceramics, brick and oyster shell. Nearby was the KGII. I hunt primarily farm fields and to find a whole shoe buckle is a daunting task as it is but to find a whole SILVER one is something else. It has a faint makers mark but unsure of the maker. Tombacs and a clog clasp were also nearby. Needless to say after some rain we will be heading back promptly to see what signals will be revealed after a nice soaking rain!

Beautiful Patina

Up close of makers mark

Dig hole with burnt ash,brick

Group finds including colonial casio watch....

Last edited:
Upvote 43

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
No doubt you have some amazing quality finds to your credit and I don't want to doubt your knowledge or expertise but I'm just not seeing silver with that shoe buckle. I dug a solid silver buckle last year that had a lot of tarnish/patina on it but you could still tell it was silver with no cleaning. Here's a link - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...l-shoe-buckle-paste-stones-amazing-relic.html

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice buckle! It's always a great day to find one that's got most of the chape and tongue left.

Thanks fellas still excited about it. I could see the confusion about it being silver but they did not stamp brass/copper buckles. Its very heavy and is super clean compared to the brass buckle pieces next to it which are brass. It has a deep grayish black patina and has that "ting" to it. I even scratched a little bit of it to verify. Id imagine i could really get it to shine but I couldnt do that to the patina. Its what gives it character. I believe the makers mark is (I S). From what im seeing in this style its most likely british and around 1770 era. There are a number of J first name and S last name smiths from that era.

Buckle makers didn't only stamp silver ones and actually not all silver ones are stamped. I've found a brass one stamped with "IP" and I saw another brass one dug with a stamp of "IA". Your frame looks like a brass alloy, most likely a Tombac alloy. It's an excellent relic and it's always great to find one with a makers mark.

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Screwy: Im going to have it acid tested to be sure. It's really screwing with my brain. all the other brass coming out is in terrible shape. Will keep you posted.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silver or not---- STILL a bada$$ buckle :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

not many Colonial pulltabs in that area???:laughing9:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice buckle! It's always a great day to find one that's got most of the chape and tongue left.

Buckle makers didn't only stamp silver ones and actually not all silver ones are stamped. I've found a brass one stamped with "IP" and I saw another brass one dug with a stamp of "IA". Your frame looks like a brass alloy, most likely a Tombac alloy. It's an excellent relic and it's always great to find one with a makers mark.
I can't view the pictures on this post for some reason, but when I saw it on Facebook I also though Tombac.

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Never heard of a tombac shoe buckle but I will put it to the test when I get done work to find out.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Screwy: Im going to have it acid tested to be sure. It's really screwing with my brain. all the other brass coming out is in terrible shape. Will keep you posted.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it is silver. Would be a banner find for sure!

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Screwy, gonna feel like a big dummy if it's brass and just disregarded its soil condition to screw with me =)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on digging that awesome buckle, :occasion14: That's one of those relics I always hope to dig when I'm hunting with my friends in the East NY/NJ area.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks fellas still excited about it. I could see the confusion about it being silver but they did not stamp brass/copper buckles. Its very heavy and is super clean compared to the brass buckle pieces next to it which are brass. It has a deep grayish black patina and has that "ting" to it. I even scratched a little bit of it to verify. Id imagine i could really get it to shine but I couldnt do that to the patina. Its what gives it character. I believe the makers mark is (I S). From what im seeing in this style its most likely british and around 1770 era. There are a number of J first name and S last name smiths from that era.
That is untrue, had a few copper-alloy shoe buckles with makers marks. I can't tell for sure but it looks more tombac than silver. (Clean it up a bit & post the pictures on this site)

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never heard of a tombac shoe buckle but I will put it to the test when I get done work to find out.

Tombac buckles aren't nearly as common as brass ones... I guess technically Tombac is a brass alloy where zinc and extra copper were added to the brass to create a Tombac alloy. I've only dug 1 Tombac frame and a handful of broken Tombac frames, compared to dozens and dozens of brass frames and broken bits. Other odd Tombac finds are a Tombac baby spoon and a Tombac thimble that I was certain was silver when I dug it. Haha. We're used to Tombac buttons, but they did make some other things with it as well.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Instead of scratch and sniff do a good rub and sniff with the thumb-rotten egg and sulphur will say silver content at least.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its killing me sitting at work. Will get to the bottom of this asap. Thanks Cru, someone else metioned a makers mark on a brass buckle found also. maybe a little light rub of water and baking soda on the underside will work best until I can get a friend with an acid kit.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its killing me sitting at work. Will get to the bottom of this asap. Thanks Cru, someone else metioned a makers mark on a brass buckle found also. maybe a little light rub of water and baking soda on the underside will work best until I can get a friend with an acid kit.
Either way its a good find in better than average condition.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other

I look forward to the test!

It is a beautiful shoe buckle, no doubt about that.

Congrats on the find sir.

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heres a tombac knee buckle frame that I dug last year. Much grayer in color in person

Attachments

• IMG_0580.JPG
    IMG_0580.JPG
    721.1 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Toasted I see green patina all around that making me thing its brass or copper.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toasted I see green patina all around that making me thing its brass or copper.

Yes its not a very good picture. Ill have to take another when I get home.

Last edited:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find! Love the buckle.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a great buckle whatever it is made of. While I'm still leaning toward tombac, it could also be some type of bronze alloy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread