TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008
Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I went MDing with my dad and found some misc items. Originally we went to a local town that is nearly all but abandoned as there is a small park there and due to the age we figured we might find some old coins.

After circling around the small town we found some people in a house near the tiny park. I got out and asked permission if there would be a problem if we MDed. As luck would have it they was more than happy to let us detect the area - and they also owned the old closed town store, the land the post office use to sit on, a local playground, and a few lots where old houses once stood.

I ended up also talking to his son who owned part of the land and pointed us to some of the locations of the buildings. He had a 5 year old son who kept trying to talk to me and my dad while we were detecting. The only problem we had was the large amount of trash in the ground that has accumulated over the years.

Due to the heat and trash we cut the trip short. I found some canslaw, a small electric motor, 1 quarter, 1 dime, and 1 penny. The little boy kept telling me there was nothing in the ground, so I showed him my coins. Of course he wanted to hold them and once he did off they went never to be seen by me again. :laughing7:

Before we left I thanked them for letting us search, told them about the clad I found (that their son now had), and they welcomed us to come back and detect anytime we wanted. As there are many other abandoned houses still standing, and we had one owners permission already, I imagine we will have no trouble getting permission to detect anywhere around there.

It really did pay to ask permission, and for 31 cents I have introduced the hobby to a future generation. :thumbsup: I can't wait to return when the temprature isn't in the high 90s, I have my smaller coil to search the trashy ground, and more time to search -- it really is hard to say what can be found there.

After we left the town we went to a local park where I found more clad and a eagle item.

In all today I found 3 quarters, 1 dime, 1 nickle, 15 pennies, a metal eagle item, 3 pull tabs, a disposable lighter that still works (found partially buried), various metal items, and permission to detect a large portion of a old town anytime I want. :hello2:

finds-6-24-12.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008
Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the responses. :D

I hope when I get a chance to go back with my 4" coil and some time I will be able to get some great finds! :thumbsup:

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread