Some finds under a fallen tree

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
It's been raining all week here but I did get a chance to get out for a bit last weekend so I decided to dig around a fallen tree on a rise above the creek. I didn't dig very deep because I only took a little garden trowel with me but I found a few cool things.

I think I know what some of these are but I could use a little help with some of the others.

Here's what I found in about a 3' x 3' x 6" area around the roots:

A chipped chert drill, a small blade made of a sandy material, a perforator or graver, a cool tool, a flake the looks like it was used for something, a mano, a J shaped object?, and the small black piece is a mystery (it is as smooth as silk)

021.JPG

022.JPG

Am I on the right track?

And all of the pieces below are worked but are any of these points? They are from the same 3' x 3' x 6" area under the tree as the pieces above:

024.JPG

Thanks for any help. :)

Upvote 0

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
It's amazing what tree roots will hold onto over time. I know of a guy who pulled a small bush in his backyard and picked out a cache of points from around the roots.

You're definitely onto something with that spot, I'd hit it hard after any rain or perhaps dig a little deeper and sift the dirt. In the first pic bottom left looks like a graver or awl possibly. 3rd pic far right, middle row looks like a black point and there are a couple more in that group that look like they have a chance.

Imo it looks like a quarry or camp site from the debitage, possibilities are endless, nice hunting and good luck on that spot...keep us posted.

OP
OP
B

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
Thank you, Thirty7. I've known they lived here because of all of the worked flint - it's everywhere - I just haven't found any whole pieces in the creek so I think I'm going to spend a lot more time up on dry land.

If it was a quarry here, would that explain all of the worked pieces all over? They aren't anything really, just worked for some reason. And, if you look at the pic with all of the small pieces, the piece to right of the quarter is something that I find all over this land. I quit picking them up because there are so many.

I also want to apologize to you and everyone else for not commenting or anything for the past 6 weeks. My hubby had a health scare at the end of September but they were able to fix him with surgery and he is as good as new. Whew! :)

Thanks again for all of your help.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
No need to apologise Bluesy, priorities first, glad he pulled through.

Yes, the small worked flakes suggest a nearby quarry. They are most likely waste reduction material flakes imo. Quarry spots can be exciting and somewhat disappointing at the same time. Exciting because you're finding worked pieces of chert, but disappointing because the complete artifacts are scarce. The ancients would travel to these quarries, knock out some preforms for easier travel and most likely carry them back to their village or camp. You're on the trail though, keep your eyes open for areas closeby that would be suitable for a camp. A high flat spot near water or springs that overlooks this quarry might be where the whole pieces are.

This is all speculation on my part but it comes from alot of experience and legwork, and research. There's always a chance of finding a left over cache or random forgotten piece at quarry sites, you never know? Hope this helps a little and good luck on that spot.

OP
OP
B

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
Thanks so much, Thirty7. That helps a lot and makes a lot of sense because I've been really frustrated looking through all of the chunks of worked flint and not finding anything recognizable as a true artifact.

It is supposed to stop raining soon so I'll try to hunt some of the high flat ground above the creek this week.

Thanks again! :)

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's exactly the type of thing I used to find when I first started hunting a couple of fields in NC. Looks like spalls, which tells us that was an area where Preforms/blades were knapped. Keep hunting there, you will prolly find points. Even if you don't, you should find some good blades.
I used to find at least 20 blades to every whole point. In the end I took the blades/preforms back, for someone else to find. There was far too many to haul around on my travels.

Also, I was told because i found so many spalls/blades/preforms, that I could be hunting on ground that was used as a kitchen/slaughter area, near a campsite..They slaughtered away from the campsite for obvious reasons. So you could be near a site.
Very promising spot, try diggin near there too, on high ground.

Good luck, hope you find lots of goodies.

Molly..

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All in one root ball? Thats a lot of nice looking artifacts. I like the antler billet. You are going to find some nice stuff there. Glad you are back and the husband is well :icon_sunny:
Nice finds
TnMtns

OP
OP
B

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
Thanks Molly, 4-H, and TNMountains.

Molly, I'm going to take your advice and head for higher ground and hopefully find their campsite...glad to hear I'm not the only one that has had this problem. I want to dig some more, too - if it ever dries out here. Thanks so much for all of your help.

TNMountains, I hope you are right. Thanks so much and could you please tell me which one is the antler billet?

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Bluesy, glad the hubby is okay...Now, you have alot of work in store for you, if you continue in that area...and disappointment, because of all the chips and worked pieces...I'm digging a site that has plenty of campsites, firepits and burials, have seen literally hundreds of pieces of worked flint since I started....each piece made me hold my breath and hope for a point, I know that they are there, have seen others pull them from the ground, but until last Tuesday I was a virgin...I found a beautiful Perdiz with the tip gone, a G-10 as far as I'm concerned because it was my first...just keep looking and they will come to you...the billet that TNMtns talked about is the j shaped piece...

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oldgoat said:
Bluesy, glad the hubby is okay...Now, you have alot of work in store for you, if you continue in that area...and disappointment, because of all the chips and worked pieces...I'm digging a site that has plenty of campsites, firepits and burials, have seen literally hundreds of pieces of worked flint since I started....each piece made me hold my breath and hope for a point, I know that they are there, have seen others pull them from the ground, but until last Tuesday I was a virgin...I found a beautiful Perdiz with the tip gone, a G-10 as far as I'm concerned because it was my first...just keep looking and they will come to you...the billet that TNMtns talked about is the j shaped piece...

I loves Perdiz points, they are fantastic. ::)
I have a good feeling Bluesy will hit the jackpot. Fingers crossed for you hon. :icon_thumleft:

Molly.. :)

OP
OP
B

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
Thanks so much OG and Molly. I know you are both right and the fun is really in the hunt - well, I think it will be even more fun to find one, lol.

OG, thanks for letting me know which one is the billet. I tried to look them up online but I couldn't find any that looked like mine so I really appreciate the help. And congratulations on your first point!

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Thanks, Bluesy...I've been collecting for the last three years, have gone to some of the digsites in Tx., but have never found a piece myself, this was a thrill for me. My eye seems to draw to fossils and bone and I have a hell of a collection of those, not many flint pieces that I've found other than chips. Keep looking they are there just waiting for the time that you see them...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello
The large rounded piece looks like some deer antler . It will be light and porous.It looks like an antler billet what they worked flint with. Sorta like this picture.

Attachments

• smantbillg.jpg
    smantbillg.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 576
OP
OP
B

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
You're welcome, OG. My eyes don't see fossils or bone pieces - just lots of chunks of worked flint. But I know you are right and they are out there...somewhere... :D

Thank you,TnMountains, it it light and porous and looks a lot like yours - only maybe this one is broken in half? I thought maybe it was a mano (which just goes to show how much I don't know, lol). I really appreciate your help.

I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread