Some great stuff and two that got away

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I saw a Craigslist ad for an "estate sale preview" to be held that day. The writeup and the pics didn't look like a professionally run estate sale. It was a little out of the way but I had a little extra time at lunch so I went by. I was right, this wasn't a professional estate sale. Far from it. A lady had a cleaning crew in the house and was there to supervise them but was letting buyers come in and look around while she was there. My first impression was that this was a complete waste of time. The owner was a smoker and the place reeked of stale smoke. And they had a cat. And they had apparently never heard of a vacuum cleaner. In other words, the place was disgusting. The house had been mostly emptied out and I didn't see anything I was remotely interested in. Then I went into the garage and found...

DSC02833.JPG
A gun cleaning kit in a nice metal case.

DSC02827.JPG
A Cold Steel Recon Tanto knife. Looks like it has never been used. I researched knives a few months back when I was shopping for a folding knife with a locking blade. I finally settled on a Cold Steel knife because they have a reputation for great quality. This is a REALLY nice knife and I almost missed it because it was buried in a pile of old cell phone car chargers and other junk.

DSC02828.JPG
A Bushnell rifle scope. I wish it were a Nikon or some other higher quality piece but it is in great shape.

DSC02829.JPG
A large kit of hand tools in both metric and English sizes. These are made by Task Force which is, I think, the Lowe's house brand. Wish they were Snap On but they appear to be brand new. A similar set sells at Lowe's these days for about $80.

DSC02832.JPG
And, a Marshall MXL microphone with a 15' Monster cable. I took a flyer on this because I don't know if it works but it appears to be in great shape.

I paid a total of $85 for all of this stuff. I can probably get nearly that much (maybe a little more) for the knife alone. That is assuming I don't keep it for myself. The rifle scope and the wrench set should fetch around $50 each. If the microphone works, it should bring about $50 also. I'm not sure about the gun kit. I need to look into that.

Oh, I almost forgot... the two that got away. After I bought the stuff above I took one more run through the house just in case I overlooked something. The back bedroom closet was full of boxes from electronic gear and camera stuff, etc. All those boxes were empty but on a shelf behind some empty boxes I found two small lock boxes. These were the kind with a handle on top you can carry with one hand. They were both locked. They were also very heavy and when I picked them up, I could hear things rattling inside. I went and found the lady running the sale and asked her about them. She didn't know what I was talking about so I showed her and asked her if she had the keys. She didn't. I offered her $100 for them sight unseen. For a moment I thought she was going to go for it or at least make a counter offer but then she said she should probably hold on to them until she can get a look inside. RATS! I'm still fantasizing about what was in those boxes. Guns? Gold coins? I'll never know....

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You sound like me when I go to a sale. 9 times out of 10 I see people walk into a room, look around, and walk out of the room.

Me: I am in closets, opening drawers, lifting stuff up, etc etc. THAT is how it is done!

Congrats on some nice finds!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that Cold Steel Tanto. I've sold several Cold Steel knives including a smaller Tanto. They always sell well. I had one listing pulled because it was considered a "punch knife," it was a safe maker I. The only thing I don't like are the pos plastic sheaths.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, yep if no one else is around I will do a quick recon of all the rooms than I start digging, I usually turn up something decent. Good luck!..............Scott.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sound like me when I go to a sale. 9 times out of 10 I see people walk into a room, look around, and walk out of the room.

Me: I am in closets, opening drawers, lifting stuff up, etc etc. THAT is how it is done!

That sounds like me too! Great finds!

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
9 times out of 10 I see people walk into a room, look around, and walk out of the room.

I know what you mean. I see that a lot too. I guess a lot of people expect the great deals to jump up and slap them in the face.

My experience has been that most sales have too many things to truly "see" everything on the first pass. I frequently find things on my second or third look around. This happened with the wrench set as well. It was stashed on the side of a set of shelves in a dark corner of the garage with a bunch of stuff in front. I had looked over the shelves pretty carefully with my flashlight and didn't see anything and I didn't feel like climbing over a bunch of stuff to take a closer look. I was on my way to leave when I passed that area and shined my light in there one more time and saw a couple of inches of the wrench case sticking out. I knew it was some kind of tool so I climbed over the junk and fished it out. I was surprised it was such a large set and in such great shape.

BTW, I have checked into the gun kit. The cleaning set in the bottom runs about $20. I'm thinking with the nice case (which cleaned up beautifully) and all the tools I should be able to get about $40 - $50 for it.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured that was about what the gun set was worth. You definitely did a good job.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
BTW, I have checked into the gun kit. The cleaning set in the bottom runs about $20. I'm thinking with the nice case (which cleaned up beautifully) and all the tools I should be able to get about $40 - $50 for it.

Try this site for selling rather than Ebay: Guns For Sale, Auctions, Buy and Sell, Online I don't know if you have pay to join or list. It's a good site; I've used it before, but not for selling.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Quick update on my purchases. The Cold Steel knife just sold on ebay for $100. There are a bunch of similar knives that have sold for much less that $100 but I think most of them were a different steel than this knife (which is "Carbon V" steel). Many of the others were made in Japan. This one is made in the US. So, one item down and I am just above break even so it is all profit from this point forward. I have the tools on Craigslist and I'm supposed to meet a guy tomorrow who said he will pay $50 for them. I also had the microphone checked and it (and the cord) work perfectly. So, I'm thinking I should make about $200 on this stuff. Hate to give up the knife but it turned out to be the most valuable item in the bunch.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got back from meeting the guy who wanted the tools. He bought them for $50 as promised.

Thanks for the kind words. I will definitely make a nice profit from this group of things. I won't be buying a yacht any time soon but a couple of hundred extra bucks is always appreciated.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on some nice finds!
Me too, I even (quickly and so no one sees) feel the bottom side of big dresser drawers or pull out the bottom drawer to see whats under. never found anything yet tho ;(

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too, I even (quickly and so no one sees) feel the bottom side of big dresser drawers or pull out the bottom drawer to see whats under. never found anything yet tho ;(

Haven't tried that yet... but perhaps I will :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions