artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally bit the bullet and purchased an ACE 250 today. Hopefully, it won't be too long in getting here, as the weather has been perfect and I want to get started! My question is, other than the detector and headphones, what else do I need to get started? What kind of diggers are recommended? What about coils and pinpointers? Are these really necessary at the beginning? I need some more free advice! :D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to a Lowes or Home Depot and get a trowel to start with. After you develop a preference or pet peeve on particular points you'll be better prepared for a purpose-built digger like a Lesche or Wilcox. I have a $7 stainless steel bulb transplanting trowel with a big, ergonomic grip from Lowes that I still use on occasion. Fiskars and True-Temper make a nice tool that has a root-saw ans good grip.

You'll also want a nail apron for finds and trash. I have a carpenter's belt that serves me well as a treasure and tool carry-all.

I epoxied a length of steel rod into a golf-ball as a probe.

You might also want a notepad and pencil or two to take notes, write down finds, even keep track of trash readings to help you learn/interpret the detector. And a 6" zip-lock bag
in case you find something nice but delicate.

I have a Merlin SXL and a Fisher F-Point pinpointer. The F-Point was free and I use it because it is smaller and handier, but the Merlin is a better overall unit, though a bit more delicate and open to dust and moisture problems. Either is good, but there are better.

Attachments

• pouch.jpg
    pouch.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 269
  • pouch.jpg
    pouch.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 260

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The accessories are many, but in starting out all you really need is a nail apron for finds and trash and something like a screw driver to probe with and retrieve the coins. You can add a knife for cutting sod and a piece of cloth to set the plug on so all the dirt can go back in the hole.

Extra coils are nice if you do a lot of different detecting. However if you get only one coil, make it a sniper coil so you can maneuver it thru the trash to get the coil over only one target. Read all you can and subscribe to Western & Eastern Treasures for more knowledge.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to both of you for the advice. I'm going to stop at HD on the way home! ;D

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Honestly... Buy 2 items for now. Both are from Fiskars and both have a lifetime warranty that I've used with complete satisfaction.
A Fiskar Big Grip trowel (awesome trowel, its light weight and has a HUGE scoop)http://www.fiskars.com/US/Garden/Landscape+Tools/Cultivating+Tools/Product+Detail884ehtml.html You can buy it at WalMart for $5.98

and the Fiskars Big Grip Garden Knife http://www.fiskars.com/US/Garden/Landscape+Tools/Cultivating+Tools/Product+Detail7e1chtml.html Also able to be purchased at Walmart for $9.98

I would also buy a 2 dollar handy man 2 pocket pouch, and some cheap knee pads... like these from Fiskars: http://www.fiskars.com/US/Garden/Gardening+Accessories/Product+Detailbe09html.html Also purchased at Walmart for like $9 or $10

Eventually you want to upgrade, but these are great items to use.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cryptodave said:
Honestly... Buy 2 items for now. Both are from Fiskars and both have a lifetime warranty that I've used with complete satisfaction.
A Fiskar Big Grip trowel (awesome trowel, its light weight and has a HUGE scoop)http://www.fiskars.com/US/Garden/Landscape+Tools/Cultivating+Tools/Product+Detail884ehtml.html You can buy it at WalMart for $5.98

and the Fiskars Big Grip Garden Knife http://www.fiskars.com/US/Garden/Landscape+Tools/Cultivating+Tools/Product+Detail7e1chtml.html Also able to be purchased at Walmart for $9.98

I would also buy a 2 dollar handy man 2 pocket pouch, and some cheap knee pads... like these from Fiskars: http://www.fiskars.com/US/Garden/Gardening+Accessories/Product+Detailbe09html.html Also purchased at Walmart for like $9 or $10

Eventually you want to upgrade, but these are great items to use.

Dave, Do you own stock in Fiskars and Walmart...lol.

Moon,
I think everyone's advice is basically the same. A digging tool and finds pouch. In the beginning just buy basic lower priced items (not cheaply made just low priced) and you can always upgrade later. The stock coil is probally the best for you to learn the Ace on then you can look at other later. Make sure you like the hobby first then make sure you have the extra time to justify upgrading.

Most importantly is have fun, always fill your holes and leave the place nicer then you found it. Carry all your great finds out but make sure you carry the trash out as well.

Good luck and happy hunting.

NJ

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
those of you that probe first muct have nice soil. In Va it seems like there'd be WAY too many rocks in the soil. Not to mention I am not that accurate with the MD yet. Wish I could reduce my hole size to a 3" plug! How do you get that accurate when (from what I understand) a pinpointer only detects at about a 1"-2" range?

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Artemis Moon

If you only listen to one person's advice,let it be Sandman,

The reason i say this is,When i first started out last year i thought i needed to purchase every kind of digger and probe,pinpointer, and i think you get what I'm saying.

I have a large duffel bag with stuff i never used,I could not decide when enough was enough,and i detect on the beach more than anywhere else,and there you need something to put your find's in and a scoop.

On land again a pouch for your finds,and something to probe or dig with,and a good pinpointer always comes in handy, First learn how to use your detector, and always remember to recover any holes that you dig.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Although Sandman is a great and venerable elder hear at TNet his is only one opinion among many as to how or whatever. Lotsa ways to skin a cat and I'll bet that Sandman himself would agree with me on that one. As far as advise for the newbies I think we should all point them to reading the info that is already available here at TNet, so we don't continue to rehash the same stuff time and time again. so the best advice I can give, read all the posts there's tons of info everywhere here and you'll probably have alot fewer questions about anything after you've done just a little reading. Try doing a search under Ace 250 and you'll see what I mean. ;)

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Having all that equipment is nice. It all depends on where you are going to hunt. You may need anything from a probe to a shovel. Do you know how to use a detector? Do you know how to hunt? I don't mean this in a smart aleck way I just want more info to help you. I have seen people with $1200 Dollar detectors get out done by people with cheap equipment because they knew how to use it.
Dman

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all who replied. This was very helpful information. I have a very good idea of what I need to get started. I can't wait for the machine to get here so that I can put all of this advice to good use!!

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I don't own stock in Fiskars, and I for the most part hate Walmart. I just happen to fully believe in the Fiskars product due to their awesome customer service (I broke a trowel, called them and they 2nd day aired a new one)... And everyone has a Walmart close to them.

I don't use probes, nor do I know anyone that does. Personally I think it takes too much effort to do it. Especially when you can take the gardening knife, cut a quick plug or flap and be on your way.
I especially don't recommend trying to learn how to probe properly when your just getting your detector and trying to figure it out at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, some people do great at the probing thing, personally I would rather cut the flap, pull the item out, turn and stomp the flap and be going to the next hole.... Not still sticking a screwdriver around trying to "pop" an item out of the ground without even seeing it...

AND I'm not telling you to buy a "whole bag of digging tools". I'm recommending you purchase two items that I still use even today because not everyone takes too kindly to my Lesche Ground Shark in their yard or park.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One more thing I will add to this thread is while you are learning your machine, how to cut a proper plug, pinpointing and probing please do this either in your own backyard or a wooded area. Don't try it in a nicely manicured park or private yard. The first few holes I dug when I began were 3'X3'X3' (okay a slight exageration but you know what I mean).

If you start off that way you will be asked never to come back and ruin possible future opportunities.

Start off in your own yard. Once you are comforable move to a park/wooded area but start with one that is not kept up or in a part that is not used too often. You will be amazed on how quickly to perfect the skill of not leaving a sign that you were there digging.

Tips:

- Cutting a flap is when you cut three sides of the square then flip the grass over. The one side you don't cut should keep the grass alive.

- Don't dig in a grass area when it is dry out and there is no rain expected for awhile. The grass will die and turn brown.

- Use a sheet or towel to place the dirt onto so you can place it all back in the hole. Helps keep the lawns nice and clean. I buy a shower curtain liner at the dollar store then cut it into 12"X12" squares. Once it gets too dirty I throw it away and grab a new one.

- Take your time while digging so you don't damage any keepers and if you start getting sloppy it is time to stop dig for the day.

I hope this helps.

NJ

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a suggestion, take a Saturday morning and go to garage sales in your area. you can find every thing you need there for a 5th or less of what it cost you new, usually a dollar or two. I have picked up hand trowels, tool bags, screw drivers key hole saws for cutting roots, and so on for .50 cents to $2.00.

Once you see what you l

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions