Some new and older CW finds.

jondar

Mar 20, 2006
I tried to post this and my picture was too big. I apologise for the clarity, I scanned it and the frame took it out of focus. I found most all of these in the late 70's and early 80's with an old Garrett BFO called The Sidewinder. Found the belt plate with a cut down surplus Army mine detector. The bullet mould is for an 1849 Colt Pocket Model Revolver in .31 caliber. Most of the bullets were found at around 3 1/2" about the limit for the detector. I heard the site was to be declared a State Park so went back about two years ago with my Compass Scanner and found the mess utensil (fork) and the cannon primer (the one in the middle of the group of three; the other two are unused). The area is now closed to MD. I'm thinking of trying on some of the ajoining property, with permission of course. If anyone would like a clearer picture I am going to take a clear one as soon as my borrowed digital camera is returned. Incidently I still have the Garrett Sidewinder and it works flawlessly, relatively speaking. Jon

Attachments

• relics.jpg.jpg
    relics.jpg.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 754
Upvote 0

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I looked at the pic with some old reading glasses I have here and man the pic looks great !!!!!lolol Thanks for posting !!

OP
OP
J

jondar

Mar 20, 2006
Well, I'll try the picture again!

Attachments

• Relics1.jpg
    Relics1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 694

Jerxs

Apr 10, 2004
NEPA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great diggs, I like the bullet mold

OP
OP
J

jondar

Mar 20, 2006
Thanks for the kind remarks. The buckle is a brass shell with lead filler. (backing.) Bullets are lead. some for 1852 Sharps carbine, some Minie' balls.

Yes, you never know what you will find. In the area where I found the Sharps bullets, I found a 1862 silver three cent piece. So small I had trouble seperating it from the soil.

I and my daughter went back to this site a few days ago. Appears to be picked clean. Did find three expended .45-70 BLANK cartridge cases. I believe that these were used in some commemoration of the battle where they used an honor guard firing salutes. Two of the cases had no headstamp, one had the FA (Frankford Arsenal) stamp and date of 1900. These were probably fired from the old Springfield trapdoor rifles.

Never know what you will find. Jon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread