Some of my finds...

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a glass or crystal dish with a silver band around the base. Only marks I can find are on glass and say Italy 40. Paid 69 cents.

dish with silver band2.JPG

This is unopened. $3

powder.JPG

OP
OP
krazyace

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an old Hobbema print, the frame has some weight to it. $2.99

hobbema.JPG

Not sure what these are, tag said scrimshaw? 99 cents each.

scrim1.JPG

scrim2.JPG
Found three of these plates, any idea if they are anything special? Think I paid a buck or two.

Attachments

• koreaplate2.JPG
    koreaplate2.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 798
  • korea plate1.JPG
    korea plate1.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 792

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
If they are real skrimshaw they could be quite valuable. They look like they were done by someone with a lot of skill, you didn't get hurt at a buck or two.

OP
OP
krazyace

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got these at an estate sale, still had the tag, looks like they were never used and put up for decoration.
Dorothy Thorpe

Got the Pitcher and six of the glasses for $5.00

Attachments

• pitcher.JPG
    pitcher.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 801
  • rolypoly.JPG
    rolypoly.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 808
OP
OP
krazyace

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure these are wrought iron. Paid a dollar for both. Any ideas on best way to list these?

Attachments

• wrought iron sconces1.JPG
    wrought iron sconces1.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 822
  • iron2.JPG
    iron2.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 778
  • iron3.JPG
    iron3.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 774
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score on the Dorothy Thorpe. I would have paid $5.00 for that set in a heartbeat. 6 Roly poly glasses alone can go for $100. Looks like the silver bands are in good shape.

Wrought iron bound or twisted gothic medieval fairy wall sconce, something of that nature is what I would list them as.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Looking for some clarification on the "Dorothy Thorpe" Are they marked?

Thanks

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dorothy Thorpe can be marked with a sticker that says Dorothy Thorpe made in California. If the sticker is not on it then the only way you can tell is by the silver band on the glasses. The silver band will tarnish like real silver. It is made in 1" silver ( or gold )band and the allegro pattern which is 1/2 inch. Dorothy Thorpe designed a lot of other glassware but these are the ones that I focus on. The Roly Poly glasses are hot right now. If you want to do some vintage cocktail research I suggest getting madmen on Netflix. Pay attention to the glasses they drink out of, and the decor on the set.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
famous turtle treasures said:
Dorothy Thorpe can be marked with a sticker that says Dorothy Thorpe made in California. If the sticker is not on it then the only way you can tell is by the silver band on the glasses. The silver band will tarnish like real silver. It is made in 1" silver ( or gold )band and the allegro pattern which is 1/2 inch. Dorothy Thorpe designed a lot of other glassware but these are the ones that I focus on. The Roly Poly glasses are hot right now. If you want to do some vintage cocktail research I suggest getting madmen on Netflix. Pay attention to the glasses they drink out of, and the decor on the set.

Thanks for the info. I've seen a good amount of DT looking glasses, but don't believe I've actual found any yet. I usually buy them anyways. I'll keep looking for the real thing.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DT is crystal so look for quality glasses that have a 1" or 1/2" band that is tarnished, or looks like sterling silver.

I am not sure how the silver is applied, but it a super thin film of silver, and it will flake off fairly easy. I find pieces that have some of the silver missing quite often, but if the silver is flaking it isn't going to be worth anything.

If you find the glasses with a silver band that has a mirror finish, that isn't Dorothy Thorpe, but it can be from the same era.

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
savant365 said:
If they are real skrimshaw they could be quite valuable. They look like they were done by someone with a lot of skill, you didn't get hurt at a buck or two.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say...if real ivory/hand carved...could be big $$$'s.

GT

OP
OP
krazyace

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCdigger said:
savant365 said:

Yeah, that's what I was going to say...if real ivory/hand carved...could be big $$$'s.

GT

Here is a pic of one of the backs. Should I put a hot pin to the back to see if it is some kind of plastic?

Attachments

• 100_0989.JPG
    100_0989.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 407

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I have never tried the hot pin method, I'd be too afraid I would ruin it. I don't know what part of the country you are in but there must be someone around that you could show it to for an opinion. Personally I would try to get 2 or 3 opinions. good luck and let us know what you find out.

HH Charlie

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully I am wrong, but the back looks to me like sanded opaque plastic resin that I often see on on the bottom figurines that made in China.

I wouldn't be afraid to use a hot pin on it. I would just use the tip, and do it on a spot that already has a mark on it.

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
The back doesn't look like ivory. The hot pin is much better than a cigarette lighter!
Next time you are in an antique store look at some of their ivory, that will give you a good idea of what to look for.
sometimes even the real stuff is hard to tell!
Randyd

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I feel the hot pin is a destructive test. Read up on the qualities of ivory and you can tell for yourself if it is or isn't. Here is one place I used for a piece of jewelry: http://blog.rubylane.com/node/1028

I like the "scrimshaw" in any case. Just don't use eBay to sell it, they are strict on their "no ivory" policy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread