perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I've been detecting in a forested area in Illinois which was a baseball field (among other uses) 70-80 years ago. Today I got a strong consistent signal and I dug 8 inches down to find something that looks like some sort of pipe standing straight up. It's in their good and I couldn't dig it out as night was approaching (thus I'm not sure how long it is). Nobody has used the area for decades so I was wondering if anyone can identify what this item is? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 52
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 39
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 39
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 40

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the end sticking up show that it's been cut or show signs that it was driven down? That might be a clue.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
perdidogringo

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the end sticking up show that it's been cut or show signs that it was driven down? That might be a clue.
Thanks for the feedback everyone so far. I'm going to return to the spot today with some water to clean the mud off the pipe to get better photos. I'm guessing it's some type of irrigation water pipe perhaps. I'm pretty sure the field has has been farmed at various times over the last 100-130 years or so.

The baseball base holder is an interesting theory; however, I haven't been able to find a match online and the baseball diamond that was here 80 years ago was a casual community field so I'm not sure they would have had any decent equipment.

Just saw the property marker guess- it is sticking straight up (and I cant pull it out), but I can move it around in a circle (if that makes sense).

Just saw online that someone else found something similar which most thought was a grounding rod?

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread