✅ SOLVED Some Sort of Tool?

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I picked this up at a garage sale, there were old tools there, but the guy didn't know what this was for. The rope part is 24" long, very soft and flexible. Has a clamp on a chain to adjust the length? The side of the clamp says Chicago Spec. Mfg. Co. Hi-Test Aluminum. I looked them up and they make plumbing tools, but don't see what this could be for.

Attachments

• rope1.jpg
    rope1.jpg
    737.3 KB · Views: 122
  • rope2.jpg
    rope2.jpg
    809.6 KB · Views: 122
What do the metal crimped ends look like, are they threaded?

Is the "rope" solid or is it hollow inside?

Upvote 0
The rope is solid, and very flexible. The metal caps are crimped on, possibly just to keep the rope from fraying.

Upvote 0
While waiting for the explanation I did a little searching and found out that asbestos rope was sometimes used to calk or pack cast iron waste pipe joints and it does resemble asbestos rope. However I am unable to find a matching pic and I dont understand the metal ends or the need for a clamp.

Here is the closest I could find so far with a clamp. The Making Of Calked Joints

Upvote 0
While waiting for the explanation I did a little searching and found out that asbestos rope was sometimes used to calk or pack cast iron waste pipe joints and it does resemble asbestos rope. However I am unable to find a matching pic and I dont understand the metal ends or the need for a clamp.

Here is the closest I could find so far with a clamp. The Making Of Calked Joints
Bigcy It's a variation of what is listed in your link in Fig. 254. Asbestos Joint-Runner, Open and Closed. HH here is another link
Atlas Asbestos Lead Joint Runner | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Please dont play with it!!

BK

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Attachments

• asbestos.jpg
    asbestos.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back