• IMG_9191.JPG
    IMG_9191.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 121

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see anything "bulletish". Lead isn't used much in projectiles over half-a-pound. In fact, almost never.

Upvote 0

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The streaks/grooves could be mistaken for rifling marks, but they would have a twist to them. These all lead straight to the concave

Upvote 0

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Reminds me of what would be in the base of a candlestick holder or similar....to make it weighted.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the early 80's there was a local cannon club. They would bring their guns to my hay field for shooting
matches. There were guns all the way from full a sized 12 pounder down to one inch bore. The full sized Napoleon
didn't have a 4" bore, they were shooting lead balls around 2 inches if I remember correctly. There were a couple
of guns that were made from 40 MM gun barrels, and they fired breech loaded bullets that look just like your find,
hollow base giant minnie balls so to speak, including rifling marks like on your find. The barrels came off scrapped
Navy ships. The yard scrapping the ship had to blow holes in the gun barrels every 5 feet, so there were a number
of guns made from Navy gun tubes. One of the guys cast his bullets out of a more brittle lead, I don't know what,
but for sure scrap, perhaps battery lead, anyhow, when he fired the skirt on the bullet would split and the darn thing
would whistle real loud, which was fun. Anyhow, your find could be somebody shooting their home made cannon, which
would make it a rare find, unless you were on my old place. I've seen bullets that look exactly like yours.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chance.D

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2014
Fayette county, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your reply and the wonderful information that is with it. I did find out that sometime in the 1800's, cannons were fired in this area but I am not too sure about the reasons why. For war or practice maybe? I have also found a lead cannon type ball that has impact markings. I joke about having a set now. Really appreciate your response. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread