scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok everyone I need someone to pinch me because I think I am dreaming ;D

So as I do everyday when I get home I check my email and then of course I next go to TreasureNet Forum to check things out. I then always go to my local craigslist and type in metal detector to see if anything is newly listed for sale. I see the first new one has only been listed for +-30 minutes. It is a generic listing that reads "metal detector - $65 " so I am curious and check it out when I open the listing it reads :o

White's Spectrum XLT with all accessories and carrying case. Rarely used
XLT.jpg

At first I think it is a typo $65=$650 ??? So I email the to see if it is legit and if the machine works. I get an email back a couple minutes later that says:

" we are downsizing and moving to AZ and retiring. Yes it is working, but battery needs charging. Haven't used in a long time. Robert- Phone #"

So immediately call and speak with the gentleman. I ask him if it is in good working condition? Where did he get it? and also if the price is correct? He replies that it works great just needs to be charged, He bought it new and that the price is correct and I tell him that I am a little curious because his price is so low and I think he needs to sell it for more $$$. He then replies that he did have an offer of $70 and if I wanted it come get it today for $100. I told him I did not want to cheat him but he stated that he and his wife are just getting rid of stuff. I just got back from picking it up. I still can't believe it :tongue3:
I think I shook his hand like 4 times before I left.
XLT 008.jpg

Still can't believe it & thanks for letting me tell my story :thumbsup:
Scooter

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW!

I can only dream :)

HH

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
Anything like a DFX? HAHAHAHA! This baby is a DFX without the ability to find low conductors easy! What a steal!

adant311

Nov 13, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MXT
Damn you scooter I tried to grab that thing today! I couldn't believe it when I saw it either. Guess I will have to wait for the next one.
Congrats

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've done this before. You get so sick and tired of looking at stuff, knowing you need to downsize, etc., that you just "give" it away. I've never felt bad about doing it, either. I just know it's out of my hair and I don't need to contend with it anymore. Weird, I know, but that's me.

Noodle

OP
OP
scooter

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone,
I just hope I did not use all my lifes luck in one day though :D

Scooter,

P

Pentico

Scooter thanks for the phone call yesterday to rub it in! lol
Man o man I am so happy for you!
We will have to get out this next week and give that XLT a run for the money!
Give me call today and let me know what day is good for you to get out.
I will make sure I get the day off.
Good luck this weekend.
Man what a great find I am so jealous!
Chris & LeeAnn

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Like finding a Model T in a barn..

WTG on taking the high road in the "negotiations". You deserve this deal.

Now go find lotsa stuff.

OP
OP
scooter

scooter

Nov 3, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again everyone for the nice comments :thumbsup:

More to the story........
I would have felt really bad if I did not at least try and tell the gentlemen what he had and that the price$$ was too low. It was funny because on the way there I was nervous thinking of the old saying "If it sounds too good it probably is" and told my wife to stay in the car while I went in just in case it was a scam to knock me over the head and take my money :tard: As soon as the gentleman answered the door I felt better but as he was showing me the XLT a truck drove up outside his house and 2 people came to the door which made me a little nervous. They knocked on the door and the when opened they said we are here about craigslist :icon_scratch: Comes to find out the retiring couple had put so many items on craigslist that they had to keep a list of who was coming to pick up what and for how much. I told them that it was like having a garage sale without moving everything outside :D

Scooter thanks for the phone call yesterday to rub it in! lol
Man o man I am so happy for you!
We will have to get out this next week and give that XLT a run for the money!
Give me call today and let me know what day is good for you to get out.
I will make sure I get the day off.
Good luck this weekend.
Man what a great find I am so jealous!
Chris & LeeAnn

Chris,
Thanks for the comments as well. Like I told you on the phone yesterday I was so excited I just had to tell someone LOL :wink: I will give you a call to see when we can get out to MD. I would love to go to your Honey Hole, but as I said before I doubt I will find anything as all my "luck" has been used up at this point ;D

Scooter,

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a steal... I would feel kind of bad, too knowing what the price of something like that was really worth. You got off with HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread