Someone got swindled

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Slim pickin's today. One interesting find was a copper ring with a bit of gold left on the inner portion. Probably a wedding band of old. The hallmark on the ring simply says "18".

Ring032424.jpg

My cynical mind leads me to believe that this was a deliberate attempt to deceive the purchaser. The 18 likely indicating 18K (ring is size 6 1/2). Perhaps it was legal to indicate the purity of plating without specifically calling out the plating. I have my doubts. Maybe one of the jewelry experts can chime in.

Finds032424.jpg

Today's finds...

Antique, gold-plated, copper wedding band
Crusty 1920 wheatback cent

PBS

Upvote 7

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found 5 of those faux gold rings so far. They even have the 'k' after the number. Poor folk, they probably tossed them out when the finger started turning green.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slim pickin's today. One interesting find was a copper ring with a bit of gold left on the inner portion. Probably a wedding band of old. The hallmark on the ring simply says "18".

View attachment 2139336

My cynical mind leads me to believe that this was a deliberate attempt to deceive the purchaser. The 18 likely indicating 18K (ring is size 6 1/2). Perhaps it was legal to indicate the purity of plating without specifically calling out the plating. I have my doubts. Maybe one of the jewelry experts can chime in.

View attachment 2139337

Today's finds...

Antique, gold-plated, copper wedding band
Crusty 1920 wheatback cent

PBS
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread