Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok folks.... I may seem over excited about this find but hear me out. First..... you must believe me when I tell you how this went down because I swear this on everything sacred... this is the exact truth.
Today was about as stressful as a work day can be, and I was pretty down about it. I went home, in spite of the heat and humidity, gathered Charlie up for his daily swim in the river and headed out. As I approached the bank, I said these exact words to the spirits of the ancient ones who once lived, camped, fished and hunted on this very ground. "My brothers.... I pray to you for something big and something beautiful." Those exact words! As the last L rolled off of my tongue, I looked down and WHAT THE FRANK?!!! :o You can see in the first photo what I saw, because I did not move an inch. I grabbed my cell phone and took that photo.

Now... why the big deal.... beyond my belief that they granted this find to me... along with other awesome ones? well.... for anyone who understands Indian points in the Northern Virginia area..... you will agree that this is a very rare find. The thing is, in this area of the state and in particular at the site that I hunt, we just don't have the material that you folks in other areas have. Many of our points are simply quartzite, slate and in rare cases, beautiful quartz. I am not sure of this material but it I have not found a point made from it in the two years that I have hunted here. The other thing is that this one is pretty big for my area and after seeing so many Big and Beautiful points on this site, I just never thought I could find one. Sure the tip and one shoulder are broke but I could NOT be happier!!! ;D ;D ;D It has motivated me to be out at sunup (and its already almost 1:00am) to hit the ground hard. My advice is.... always think good and positive thoughts directed at the people who once lived and died on the land that you hunt. Ask them to help and thank them greatly when you recover an item. Some may scoff but I fully believe in this. of all of my really good points, about 90% were discovered after a prayer request to the ancient ones. Thanks for looking and all comments appreciated... you know the deal. :wink:

Attachments

• big1.jpg
    big1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 547
  • big2.jpg
    big2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 571
  • big3.jpg
    big3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 539
  • big4.jpg
    big4.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 545
  • big5.jpg
    big5.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 545
  • big close.jpg
    big close.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 536
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JUNKYARD DOG said:
Hey Brother I am a believer, I walked about a half mile of creek today, it was beautiful, the creek was nice I seen a big old Beaver who smacked his tail at me for bothering him, had a deer walk right up on me, everything was great Except no finds until maybe the last 100 yards before my truck and I new it was almost over for the day, I asked the old ones for one goody before i left and sure enough about 10 yards later I found a big pre form or a snapped hoe or digger I dont know and I dont care cause that was all I needed to make the day perfect. Good luck to you and Charlie. JYD...

You got it JD. Its why I was up till 3:am and here it is 7:00am and Charlie and i are heading out after I post this response to you. The whole deer and beaver thing.... how cool is that! I could see it. Then.... the old ones who were watching you and feeling your thoughts, direct your eyes to the spot for the find. I love it man. Thanks for your words brother. Stay safe.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
There is quartzite in southeastern Penna. that's a tan color (though most of it is grey). At least on my screen, though, your point has a depth and orangey richness of color that brings Hixton to mind, and a glossier appearance that matches it as well (Penna. quartzite is a dull, no-gloss material).

It only comes from one area.

I'm not saying it IS Hixton, but Hixton was one of the widely-traveled materials in the Paleo and Early Archaic eras. Gary Fogelman told me, years ago, that a Scottsbluff-like point of it had been found in eastern Penna. A similar case is a large uniface tool of Carter County chert (Kentucky) he found in Lycoming County in east-central Penna. Yet another is a Hardaway Side Notch of North Carolina material I have, found by a friend of a friend at the forks of the Susquehanna.

There are way more questions than answers !

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now there's no mistaking that AB. I have a few same material, it's a type of Quartz. Excellent find, congrats.

Molly.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly said:
Now there's no mistaking that AB. I have a few same material, it's a type of Quartz. Excellent find, congrats.

Molly.

There you are!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D I was going to start asking about you, as I had not heard from you in a while. Its great to see you again and thanks for the comment on my happy find :wink:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. I don't pray to my ancestors at all, but always think about them, and remember stories that were passed down. Maybe that's similar. If they're actually concerned with that sort of thing, I think they get a kick out of when we find something they once owned.

USMC1986

Jul 26, 2008
Chatfield, MN
Nice find! I know what you are talking about...I speak to the old indian spirits on my hunts and ask for their guidance. I sincerely respect them. I feel when I am out hunting, it is still their sacred land. If I find something, I say thank you and leave a gift for them on the spot I find the artifact.
Happy Hunting.....

Semper Fi
Dan

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cannonman17 said:
Nice find!

Double wow!!! Brother Cannonman! I was also wondering where you have been. its like a reunion, only this one time, I left my geofacts at home hahah. Thank you for commenting and as you can tell... I am pretty jazzed about it. Its in a frame next to me as I post this and I cant stop sheepishly glancing at it every now and then. i must be sick ;D Hope all is well on your end.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USMC1986 said:
Nice find! I know what you are talking about...I speak to the old indian spirits on my hunts and ask for their guidance. I sincerely respect them. I feel when I am out hunting, it is still their sacred land. If I find something, I say thank you and leave a gift for them on the spot I find the artifact.
Happy Hunting.....

Semper Fi
Dan

We may have been different branches, but we do think alike on this one brother. Thanks for your thoughts Marine.
And thank you for your service.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread