Something to do when it rains.

fishdude

Greenie
Apr 25, 2005
Chester County, PA
Well another night stuck inside due to rain...good news is tomorrow afternoon is looking good so far.

After reading another post on here somewhere I decided to hunt for silver INSIDE 8)

Hit the bank on the way home from work and bought $100 in dimes. They had to get them from three different tellers :o

Wish me luck....I will post any finds once I finish going through them.

Attachments

• dimes.JPG
    dimes.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 324
Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been there & done it, still do it.my son and i have loads of fun filling in his coinbooks

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what got me interested in metal detecting more than 30 years ago. I used to go through bank rolls back in the early 70's.
It was possible to find silver and sometimes a supprise or two. I talked to a guy one time who went through dime rolls and found a 2 1/2 dollar gold piece.
Another time I went to the bank to buy 6 rolls of half dollars for our club coin hunt. The teller pulled out 4 rolls and said she would have to go into the other room to get the other 2. When I got home I realized the last 2 rolls were all 90% silver Kennedy's and a couple of Franklin's.
It looks like I may have to do the same thing this weekend. It's been raining (and darn near snowing) all week. The forcast here is for more rain and colder.

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
MY WIFE AND I JUST STARTED BUYING CHANGE FROM THE BANK AFTER I READ THAT POST....SO WE BOUGHT 10 BUCKS IN PENNEYS AND CAME OUT WITH 2 DIMES AND A COUPLE OF CANADIANS....NOTHING SPECIAL BUT WE WILL TRY AGAIN NEXT WEEK.....MIGHT BUY INTO THE DIMES IF THIS TURNS OUT GOOD FOR YA...GOOD LUCK
LONE GUNMAN

OP
OP
F

fishdude

Greenie
Apr 25, 2005
Chester County, PA
So the talley is:

2 silver:

1953 D
1964 D

10 other nice dimes (keep in mind I am no coin grader but they are really nice)

1965 - just a tiny bit worn out but still very shiny and lots of details
1985 P - looks fresh from the mint
1991 P - a little bit worn but is not struck right...there is a thick edge on one side and no edge on the other
2000 P - fresh from the mint
2001 P - fresh from the mint
5 x 2004 P - fresh from the mint

I figure the 10 newer ones will be worth a few bucks when I am old and grey... might as well save them.

I replaced the 12 I took with some pocket change and will trade them in for a fresh batch tomorrow :)

Attachments

• dimesfound.JPG
    dimesfound.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 280

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Now this was a great post I'm going to bank in the morning, and hit them hard. I think 1/2s or dollar coins taking dog's to distract them lol will post lol

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now be prepare! The teller will always look at you strange when I say " I need to cash in these coins and give me more of the same" Coins for coins seems to confuse the best of them ;D Now just a word of advice for ya. Before you take those rolls back to the bank mark them somehow or else you'll get them back the next time you swap out. Nothing worse than sorting the same rolls over and over :-

OP
OP
F

fishdude

Greenie
Apr 25, 2005
Chester County, PA
Well the plan is to take them all to commerce bank.....they have machine that counts the coins and gives you a receipt to take to the cashier for "real" money. I think that the machine puts them in huge mint bags that are just sent to their headqaurters.

I will just hand them the receipt and ask for dimes again. I really doubt they will dump and count the coins I just put in to give back to me. There are 5 commerce branches within 10 miles of my house (3 are on my regular commute to work) so the plan is to rotate in order to get "fresh" rolls.

One more point I will make...all of the good finds I had today were out of the paper wrapped rolls so I will be sure to request those from now on.

I can see the tellers getting to know me really soon :)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Also it's apossibility that as times get harder that more older coins will start showing up here and there. As for the 1/2's, I had a coin dealer that pays .75 for every 1965-1969 40% Kennedy.
An instant 50% return on your money beats what a savings acct will draw. HH

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea but I can't do that here in Germany, the Euro is just over 3 years old and they're made of recycled bubblegum wrappers, LOL! HH, Mike

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went to the store yesterday and not it seems habit that i look at all the change, lol
anyway i got a 1952 nickel from a store.

I love it, hehe

HH

Twister

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
GREAT...THE WIFE STAYED UP ALL DAMN NIGHT SORTING PENNYS AND CANT WAIT TO GET TO THE BANK MONDAY TO GET MORE...THIS IS GOIN TO TURN OUT TO BE A PRETTY GOOD HOBBIE...LOL
EVERY TIME I GO TO THE BANK I GO THROU THERE 1/2 SO FAR HAVE COME UP WITH TWO SILVERS...AND THAT IS JUST SITTING THERE TALKING WITH THE TELLER...GOOD LUCK
LONE GUNMAN

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;) Dad used to bring home (what seemed like) tons of rolled coins in the early and mid 60s, and we would search for older silver and indian heads....it was a blast then, due to our success rate! Our targets included 1909 VDB and 55 S pennies. Steel pennies from WWII were not that uncommon.

Thanks for reminding me of this rainy day/night pastime!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread