Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it isn't worth it

A fellow treasure hunter drowned yesterday while metal detecting at Caseville Beach in the Thumb of Michigan

"CASEVILLE, Mich. (AP) - Authorities say a 39-year-old Wixom man who was wading while using a metal detector to search for valuables has drowned in Saginaw Bay at the Caseville County Park beach.

The Huron County sheriff's department says Thomas E. Weaver drowned Saturday. The department says Weaver was wading in about 4 feet of water when he called for help several times and went under the water.

The Bay City Times reports about 100 people formed a human chain to walk through the water after Weaver disappeared.

The sheriff's department says Weaver was found about 20 minutes after he went under and was taken to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Caseville County Park is located in Huron County in Michigan's Thumb region, about 110 miles north of Detroit."

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=8624626

I frequent this beach and have probably talked to him. Hopefully, we can learn from his mistake and stick a little closer to shore

HH
-GC

Upvote 0

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
Re: Sometimes it isn't worth it

What a tragedy. :(

What are the dangers there? Rocks? Snags?
Was it rough yesterday?

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is a pretty clean beach, but I haven't been out that far, however, some nasty stuff can wash up sometimes

HH
-GC

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

that's bad maybe some other medical condition led to that? Heart attack or ???

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He might have been tangled or tripped of something- but the autopsy says he drowned

HH
-GC

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My first thoughts were the same as FloridaBill's...hope we can find out more about this terrible accident and our prayers go out to his family...rdi

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Very tragic , I hate to hear stuff like this . I hate to think he had a heart attack at age 39. But always possibility . Guzz1

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a shame, 39

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter

Oh what terrible news! Was he a Tnet member? God rest his sole. Man you just never know.
My thoughts and prayers are with him.
I just don't know what else to say. So sad.

Dale

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, how sad to lose ones life for a hobby or anything that is not worth it.  

I have been out several times where all of a sudden the tide had come in or I had moved to deeper water.  The one thing is not to panic and the other is to move to shallower ground.  I know each person is different but I am able to float with detector in hand, scoop touching the ground, and I push my way back up a few feet.  If I were in danger the scoop would be let go and then the detector.  

I have found most of my good targets at waist deep so no use in going out deep.  If one were to wait for low tide the targets that are in deeper water will be within reach.  

Just my thoughts on the subject, but I know each person is different and I know each situation is different.

HH

I would also like to add that I am sorry for his family.

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used

Your right potter, we all need to be careful out there.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is one other thing I would like to add. 

It is just my personal opinion (I don't know the circumstances of the treasure hunter's death), but if someone would wear a wet suit instead of waders they would be able to float in a bad situation.  They would have to keep a weight belt on to keep their feet planted down but if there was a bad situation they just release the weight belt and they float on the surface.  I'm sure that a person could also buy a safety vest that will automatically inflate. 

Just a side note, I have read several times over the years of even fisherman drowning using waders. 

I hope that this happend to anyone.  

Please be careful all.  No ring is worth dieing for.

954hunter

Dec 10, 2007
Ft. Laud. Fl
Detector(s) used
Excal. II

Horrible news. :'(

How the heck does one drown in 4 ft of water? There must have been a medical emergency or something to contribute to this accident.

I pray it is not a member of the forum and if anyone knows this mans family, let them know they are in our thoughts.

Maui Mike

May 26, 2008

Sorry to hear, May he be in a Treasure Trove somewhere.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They do make a deployable suspenders type device that will inflate on the pull of a lever. The automatic water activated type wouldn't do anybody any good who is already in the water.

It is a shame. I lost my Dad when he was 39 in a traffic accident. I was 11. He seemed old to me then but as I aged, the reality set in as to how young he was.

Got to be carefull folks. Don't need to read this type of story too often.

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used

This post is from another site, I hope the moderators will let it stand.

Hi all,
Tom was one of my best buddies. I new him for over 5 years and detected with him 50 % of the time on land and in the water. I only wish yesterday was one of those times.

Here is what I posted on my forum:

It is with regret that I post this today.

Story posted here: http://blog.mlive.com/bctimes/2008/07/wixom_man_drowns_near_casevill.html
Further info will be posted when I receive it.

My very good friend for the last 5 years Tom Weaver "migolddigger" as known here on the forum passed away yesterday.
I heard the news yesterday at about 2:00PM while out detecting with Robert, Randy and John.
I am at a total loss for words and still in a bit of shock.

Tom was one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. He represented the soul of this hobby. He joined the Michigan Treasure Hunters club about 5 years ago shortly after finding us on the web. Since then, he has helped numerous new members learn the hobby and how to use their new machines. Sometimes even loaning them his own equipment if needed. He participated in all aspects of the club, putting on several hunts, assisting in monthly job functions at the meetings and was a board member for one year. If you needed a hunting buddy, all you had to do was to call him. He would be there or take you to where ever you wanted to go. Tom's generosity was 2nd to none. He would literally give you the shirt off his back.

Over the past 5 years I personally got to know his two children Megan and Zack, also his fiancée Peggy Collins. It deepens my heart to know of their loss. Keep them in your prayers.

Tom was one of a kind, a true friend and someone I will never forget. He was known to find many treasures but he had the greatest of all, his heart. I'll miss him.

Ross Soderberg

Picture Links: http://greatlakesmetaldetecting.com/phpBB3/download/tom.jpg and http://greatlakesmetaldetecting.com/phpBB3/download/tom2.jpg

Viewing and Funeral Services for Tom
See this link: http://www.sparksgriffin.com/# -------- "Thomas E. Weaver - Details"
Sparks-Griffin Funeral Home111 E Flint St
Lake Orion, MI 48362
Phone# 1-248-693-8336

or

Name:
Thomas E. Weaver

Date:
May 10th, 1969 - July 5th, 2008

Obituary:
WEAVER, THOMAS E. July 5, 2008, Age 39 of Wixom. Loving father of Zachary Thomas Weaver and Megan Lynn Weaver. Dear son of Andrea and Lorne Weaver. Beloved Fiance` of Peggy Collins. Dear brother of Deborah(Ron) Bentley, Lorne(Lea) and Ronald (Debi). Ex-husband of Sherry Weaver. Also survived by many nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles and cousins. Mr. Weaver was a member of the Michigan Treasure Hunters, the Gold Prospectors and a Veteran of the United States Marine Corp serving during 1992-97. He was the Captain of Team USA Marine Golf Team and was the Marine Golf Champion in 1996. When Mr. Weaver found someone else’s lost article he did his best in returning that to the rightful owner. Funeral service Tuesday 8pm at the Lake Orion Chapel of the Sparks-Griffin Funeral Home. Family will receive friends Tuesday 3-5 and 7-9 pm. Memorial contributions may be directed to The Scholarship Fund for Zachary and Megan Weaver. Interment Great Lakes National Cemetery. A Guest Reflection can be made @ http://www.sparksgriffin.com

Memorials:
The Zachary & Megan Weaver Scholarship Fund

Visitations:
3:00PM to 5:00PM on Tuesday, July 8th, 2008 at Lake Orion Chapel of the Sparks-Griffin Funeral Home

7:00PM to 9:00PM on Tuesday, July 8th, 2008 at Lake Orion Chapel of the Sparks-Griffin Funeral Home

Services:
In-state at 7:00PM, Service at 8:00PM at Lake Orion Chapel of the Sparks-Griffin Funeral Home on Tuesday, July 8th, 2008

Cemetery:
Great Lakes National Cemetery
4200 Belford Road
Holly, MI 48442

Already several of us from here have made plans to be at the Tuesday viewing from 7-9.

Note: Memorials:
The Zachary & Megan Weaver Scholarship Fund

Peggy asked me to post info on the Scholarship Fund.
Any contributions should be directed as mentioned in above link or checks made out to Peggy Collins (note Zachary & Megan Weaver Scholarship Fund on the check)
If you would prefer, contributions can be sent to me and I will see that they are given to Peggy.

Ross Soderberg
29429 W Nottingham Cir
Warren, MI. 48092

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

as a man who made his living working on sea going vessels for 27 years --I can honestly say I have seen the "ugly side" of the ocean more than once and that it is a life taker of the careless or foolish ( I am proud to say I have helped pull 7 men from the sea after the vessels sank 5 one time / 2 another time--sadly I also helped to recover the bodies of some not as lucky on a diiferant time) even if your not careless or foolish once "water" gets in the mix "things" can and do happen --esp if you got kids around ---plus having travelled the oceans --I have seen and know first hand that there are many many things in the ocean that if a man is swimming or wading in the ocean are way way above man on the oceans "food chain" ---we humans are slow --unarmored and lack sharp fangs, claws or poisins -- basically if anything in the ocean wants us were snack food to them -- we are the twinkes of the ocean --thats why I always say please if you water MD hunt please for safetys sake do so with a freind --the same goes for diving too. --- cuz I hate reading these types of stories---- Ivan

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You have to remember that this is lake huron- nothing larger than a fish and no dangerous currents or even tides

HH
-GC

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

I wear one of these when I am in water or fishing, fits well and doesn't get in my way at all. Figured since I spent as much as I have on the other stuff machine , scoop, etc. Another 60 or so bucks isn't a biggie to be safe.

Attachments

• 1217N_Gbg_detail.jpg
    1217N_Gbg_detail.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 442

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread