1715not.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 670

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
ive seen some that are modern minted coins but they are made from silver from the Atocha, very mis-leading :P

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
dagfoto said:
looks like more monkey-business...

sold for $430.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGE-GENUINE-1715-FLEET-8-REALE-GOLD-BEZZEL-/270617704411

now relisted for $285.00 (from a different name in same SW Florida area.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Big-14K-Bezel-Cob-Shipwreck-8-Reale-32-8-Grams-Atocha-/110587244390

gold value real close....

Assuming the gold bezel weighs about 7g, at 14K fineness, the gold bullion value should be around $175, thereabouts...

I wouldn't say the fact that something reappears from a different seller is automatically fishy in and of itself... Maybe the buyer from the original auction flaked out, seller backed out, a lot of things can happen. And to be fair, the seller in this 2nd go-around isn't hiding anything with the photos...

As for the "cob" itself, however... I find it questionable. You should ALWAYS be skeptical of Mexican cobs with visible dates (as visible dates are rather rare, and these desirable pcs. are often the ones that are faked/replicated)... However, many pieces of this P assayer era are centered such that the date is visible (like on many Maravillas pieces), so that isn't automatically damning here...

What IS sketchy is that in general, the detail appears mushy, weakly impressed, as if it was formed by cast molding, not a hammer strike. Look at that filled, blobby "P" assayer initial... Also, what should be the circle of beads/dots on the shield side (see between the date area and the MM/assayer) shows very little definition. There are also a lot of random pores on the surface... particularly note those to the right of the shield.

Honestly, I wouldn't say for certain good or no good, but I think I'd pass.

PS - Obviously, the 1715 Fleet "Cobb Coin Co." COA with the original listing was BS (no tracing on COA, wrong era coin)... but that isn't necessarily proof that the piece is a fake, either... Plenty of people take legit pieces with no papers and bang out a laser printer COA to make the piece more desirable.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
CERTIFICAT OF ARTHENTICITY:

This here 10 Real solid silver coin and gold bezel was found in the 1730 wreck of the Atochi off the north coast of Florida by Mel Fischer or his son in 1965. The gold bezle is arthentic "Pirate Gold".

Singed: X

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
Old sow we used to get a kick out of some Fake CW item descriptions posted on ebay.
maybe trying to build a Myth"I,m too stupid to spell maybe someone will think I,m just illiterate enough to know that Buy it now for 399$ "bucckel" is Maybe "when pigs fly"a genuine 10000$ CSA.
Ps can You type Me up a COA,I want to sell my 1866 IHP that Old Abe carried as a good luck piece.
:icon_pirat:

HH,Mont

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread