Somewhat Mysterious

Royn2751

Jan 14, 2017
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thoroughly enjoy reading Today's Finds and marvel at the volume of treasure coins, gold of all descriptions, military and civilian relics and other seriously interesting artifacts that the detecting fraternity saves on a regular basis.
Since the Wuhan virus I like many have found increased opportunities to detect.
I've found my share of "Good" stuff and have posted much of it here.
I, however am a bit intimidated to post finds that some might deem silly.
I'll take a shot with this post:
I took a trip to the Jersey shore earlier this week. It was perfect for detecting. Low tide, warm water, Nor'Easter a few days before and not too hot.
Detecting the wet sand and shallow surf yielded a pocket full of bottle caps (despite all my efforts to discern any difference from a nickle) and an equal assortment of modern clad. The point of my post is a 1947 Canadian penny that I dug from the surf. As evidenced by the following pics, it is in remarkably pristine condition.
Sure, there's many Canadian tourists at the shore. Sure it could have been a recent drop but that's the equivalent of getting a collectable condition Wheatie in change and then immediately losing it.
Any thoughts or opinions?
Thanks!
HH 20200821_102211.jpg 20200821_102146.jpg 20200818_144913.jpg

Upvote 7

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're right about it basically being like a fresh change wheatie that was lost recently, cool find! Reminds me of when I was walking to class and spied a shiny 1955 roosevelt sitting on the sidewalk in all its glory. Not sure if a modern drop or eroded from the front yard adjacent the sidewalk, but it was pretty darn interesting to find a silver coin ON it, not buried like usual in the medians!

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a mystery... It looks like it was just dropped.

Maybe something to do with the metal make-up? 98% copper, 0.5% tin and 1.5% zinc

:dontknow:

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of metal can comment.

Regarding the Canadian cent on a US beach: I usually vacation in Cancun each August. My most common find on Cancun beaches is US pennies. But that should come as no surprise. The Cancun Hotel/Tourist Zone was created to attract American money.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i used to take those Geo VI's out of my retail pocket change up into the 80's, I even would find 47 maple leaves too...pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. They traded at parity all along the U.S. border back then and we all had Canadian coins in our pockets. I am guessing that the older ones stayed in better shape perhaps because folk would toss them on the dresser as curiosities, only to be spent later by someone else.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice bunch of coins! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread