Bought a large coil for my Nox 800, was it worth it?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After downloading 3.1 and a factory reset I took the Nox to the only park that was open in town. I lowered the sensitivity and did a freq check and then just hunted in park one with no changes. I skimmed the park for a bit and was very happy. Nothing great but I see good things coming. Not to heavy balance a bit off. The plastic fasteners was not good enough to keep the coil where I set it, but just dealt with it. I covered a lot of ground learned to pinpoint with it. Most finds were towards the bottom of the coil. The trash was not a issue and the fine bits of foil did not pick up. Rings and coins and the silver ear ring sounded off good. I was concerned about iffy signals. Here's the catch.
82120.jpg

Upvote 7

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't think you would have found those items with the stock coil? Did it deliver on any extra depth? I bought two large coils for my Explorer and never really warmed up to them. I'd be interested in seeing someone pull something with a large coil that they could not find with the stock coil. That's the real test.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do a controlled test by doing a depth test between your original coil and your new large coil.That should answer your question of whether it was worth it or not.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, extra depth isn't the main benefit of the big coils. It's the extra coverage that I like. A tiny bit of extra depth is just a bonus.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
When I got mine I noticed I heard the deeper targets better, they sound more solid if that makes sense. I mainly use mine at the beach to get better coverage but 32 years of being a baseball pitcher has taken its toll on my shoulder so I can only swing it for a few hours. I did hit a park this spring that we have absolutely beaten to death and pulled up some mid tones I had previously missed, it was pouring rain but all the targets were 8”+ with a brass padlock being at about 15”

Attachments

• 0C284C46-FE9A-4DEC-8735-AD42AC450C6A.jpeg
    0C284C46-FE9A-4DEC-8735-AD42AC450C6A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 40

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I use a sling if I'm going to hunt all day with the big coil.

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was first day out with Nox in a long time. Heat has me down and they just recently opened this park as most are closed. I like depth when hunting old stuff, but was just gleaning top finds. Even though park had been hit, the person before me missed a lot. I will know more after about 10 hours with this coil. The small coil for the nox is absolutely deadly but with new update I do not know. I have found the Nox is very close to my F75 in making adjustments and thats a plus for me. The large coil also was sensitive enough with power turned up. But finding those relics and gold rings have eluded me so far with the nox. I think I really like the Etrac for a two screen method and the sounds and tones it produces for target ID. The large coils price would not justify its cost if you dont use it. But it covers a lot of ground. Hunt fast, recover solid tones, and move. I mostly concentrate on new drops in parks and parking lots. Knowing how trashy this park was, Im happy with my first trip out. But at some point I will hit some old ground and pull out the coils and other detectors and mark 10 targets and then check each one before I dig. I will go someone where I can dig a hole and show depth. But this heat is killer right now. Fairly sure I would loose lcd screens if I tried as in years past. I have several mediums I want to test the nox in like clay. I just gave my at pro to my brother and it was a beast in highly mineralized dirt and clay here. Also I have not tweaked the factory settings yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I got mine I noticed I heard the deeper targets better, they sound more solid if that makes sense. I mainly use mine at the beach to get better coverage but 32 years of being a baseball pitcher has taken its toll on my shoulder so I can only swing it for a few hours. I did hit a park this spring that we have absolutely beaten to death and pulled up some mid tones I had previously missed, it was pouring rain but all the targets were 8”+ with a brass padlock being at about 15”
Now thats what I would like to be finding. My shovels stay clean and one is even rusting. I ashamed to admit it.

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to know how it will find the deep old silver we have here.
To me, extra depth isn't the main benefit of the big coils. It's the extra coverage that I like. A tiny bit of extra depth is just a bonus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread