Sorely disappointed.

jleland

Sep 21, 2005
NE
I did my very first "Test Garden" tonight and wow, am I ever in the dumps guys. Here's my garden plot:

1 Zincoln @ 3" deep-detected and pinpointed to within a fraction of an inch.
1 Wheat Cent @ 3"-no detection.
1 Modern Nickel @ 1"-detected and pinpointed to within a fraction of an inch.
1 Buffalo Nick @ 1" >:( -no detection
1 Modern dime @ 2" - no detection >:(
1 merc dime @ 2" - no detection
1 1964 Quarter @ 4" no detection, >:( >:(
1 Clad quarter @ 4" no detection, >:( >:( >:(
1 Walker Half @ 6" no dirty rotten filthy detection >:( >:( >:( >:(

Not one to give up, I tried my 10X14 DD, thinking mineralized soil. Wrong-the results were comparable to the above. Then I put on my 12.5 Crossfire II, same as above.

There is a nearly new GTAx1250 on the market-cheap.

Upvote 0

Pistolero

Sep 27, 2005
Millbrook, Al.
Hello,
Do like I do! I got tired of trying to master notch and discriminate modes so I just hunt in "All Metal" mode. I have found some wonderful treasures that have lain in the ground for ages: nails and some unique pieces of wire, busted up pans and pots, cooking utensils, an old plow blade, horseshoes, jagged pieces of metal I had no idea what they were, even a ball peen hammer. But it is still fun.

This is central Alabama and there are no old mines around here in Elmore and Autauga Counties that I know of. But one day I will find a C.W. buckle or button or even a weapon part.
Take care,
Dave

OP
OP
jleland

jleland

Sep 21, 2005
NE
Pistolero said:
Hello,
Do like I do! I got tired of trying to master notch and discriminate modes so I just hunt in "All Metal" mode. I have found some wonderful treasures that have lain in the ground for ages: nails and some unique pieces of wire, busted up pans and pots, cooking utensils, an old plow blade, horseshoes, jagged pieces of metal I had no idea what they were, even a ball peen hammer. But it is still fun.

This is central Alabama and there are no old mines around here in Elmore and Autauga Counties that I know of. But one day I will find a C.W. buckle or button or even a weapon part.
Take care,
Dave

That's very cool, but I hae very little interest in those types of treasures, it is silver coinage and coins in general I have interest in. My machine is "ok", but just ok. I think I am ready for a step up. I have been notching for sometime now, I miss too much in different modes. I lowered the frequency on the machine too. I do better with thee modes of detecting, but still miss alot compared to my bros swingin White's MDs.

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
Jer, in time you are going to love the DFX. I had problems with mine in the beginning but it was just me. I understand all the setting but most places require something a little different. I also made a coin garden and was dissipointed with the results until I read some of the posts. It is only about 2 months old now and the coins are growing just fine. It really botherd me that I cound't get the Kennedy silver at 10 or 11 inches. Either time in the ground or learning the machine has improved. You WILL have to put your coins a lot deeper or else get your ears knocked off. I bought my DFX used from my dealer's wife for about half the price of a new one. Not once have I regreated it. Don't count out the xlt. For some reason my dealer hinted that I didn't really need to go buy a new dfx (unless I were going to the beach or some place like Arizona, when the xlt would probably server me better. He uses the xlt all the time and his wife's dfx stayed in the closet while she used a Troy, mostly relic hunting. I know for a fact that he has recovered at least 10 caches in mason jars and from one location he and his wife recovered about 200 silvers. He also has many gold coins and enough civil war stuf to finance their trips over seas. The reason I'm saying this it that, he was willing to loose a sale on a new detector to help me find what I needed at a comfortable price. He had a used xlt coming in but I talked him into asking his wife if she wanted to sell the DFX. When I told him I already had an Eagle II SL 90 he said it was one of the best ones ever made and they are hard to find for sale now. Again, leading to no sale on his part but he didn't know I needed a second detector for my hunting buddy (girl friend). In any case either of the two will make you a happy man.

Just my opinions.

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
What a waste of an excellent detector. Freshly buried coins are difficult to impossible to detect due to an effect known as "Metallurgical Phenomenon". You'll have the same problem with any other machine. You have to let a test garden set for a couple of months or so.

Bill

da Hobo

May 6, 2005
Northern Illinois
jleland said:

That's very cool, but I hae very little interest in those types of treasures, it is silver coinage and coins in general I have interest in.? My machine is "ok", but just ok.? I think I am ready for a step up.? I have been notching for sometime now, I miss too much in different modes.? I lowered the frequency on the machine too.? I do better with thee modes of detecting, but still miss alot compared to my bros swingin White's MDs.

I'm curious . . . . what, why and how did you "lower the frequency on the machine . . .?" And since you seem interested in selling it, what "other" changes have you made to it's original operations? Perhaps those changes are your problem.

I have never used a DFX but from what I hear it isn't a n easy machine to learn and since you have only been here a short time, do you have previous experience that might assist you in learning the DFX since the 1250 seems to have not worked well for you.

Hobo

DoctorDan

Sep 21, 2005
Missouri
Press and hold the 'Power' button for 5 seconds to return it to factory preset.
I don't think that's the problem but it does get it back to a place to start. I have a GTA-2500 and I use a GTAx-1250 as a backup. The 1250 will easily find pennies and dimes from 6 to 8 inches. I know. It will also do some strange stuff if the batteries are low.
Jewelry mode seems more dependable for coins but that's just my opinion. I also seem to have better luck with the frequency at the lower end of the scale.

If factory preset doesn't find your 'plants', it may be time for a trip back to the dealer.

HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DFX is a fine machine to be sure, but it still requires learning to use correctly. The Minelab Explorer II is even hotter, but some find it hard to learn. It's not just "Wave it an beep" anymore. The Garrett 1250 is a good machine too and tons easier to learn to use than a DFX and lighter too. The advise listed by others is sound advise and should be considered. Whites doesn't make a machine that is hipmountable execpt the Beachhunter ID either that I know of.

It pays to buy from a dealer in metal detectors and stay away from these POS. in dept. stores and outdoor shops. Most couldn't find a coin under a sheet of newspaper and there is nobody working there that can intelligently answer your questions. You buy from ebay, your getting something that has been dropped of doesn't work correctly, why else would they sell it instead as keeping it as a backup or even giving it to a youngster in the family?

Also, because someone is listed on this site as a "newbie" doesn't mean they are new to detecting. I myself am listed as a newbie, but have been posting here for years under another name. I left for awhile and when I returned I needed a new user name and the number of posts are way off.

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread