kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
? ?About a week or so ago some where on Tnet.? I was reading about all the great places to get a detector besides Kellyco and e-bay.? If anyone knows a dealer with good prices send some info this way.? For that matter where is the best place to purchase.? I got my ace new for 199 at Kellyco.? How many of you have a High end detector that came from E-bay.? Is the saving worth not getting a shiny new one.? Maybe case by case...........??

Ready to buy

Kermit

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
K,

take a look a Dick's Sporting Goods.

The price they give is the price you pay, no tax, no shipping.

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
I know at least one of the major marketers of top line detectors has a dealer locator that works off of zip code. Both of mine were purchased used, but high end at the time however I bought them both from dealers.
Other advice would be not to be closed minded about the brands or features. A good dealer can show you some valuable lessons and if he or she is good will prove it to you.

If you ever get down in the area of south central KY you might look up Mark Swann in Adams Tn. For references you can go to WET and search the articles published in the magizine.

msentme

Greenie
Sep 21, 2005
Destin, Florida
Gerry's Metal Detectors out of Boise Idaho. I just bought an Excalibur 1000 from him last week and got the best service that I've ever had plus some good freebies with my machine. He price matches, there is no tax and free shipping. Plus he will spend as much time on the phone with you as you need. You can go to his website and order from there or you can call him and place an order over the phone.
Thanks
John

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Without a doubt many of us have been burned by Kellyco. I have bought a few detectors from e-bay and had good success with it, but I know what I want and what I will pay before I commit. Truth be told, local dealers are the way to go, if you have one. If not I would suggest calling everyone in the book, so to speak. A good experience for me may not be that good for you. The best sales and support that I ever got came from one of the most expencive dealers. Tit for Tat I suppose. Clevingers is a reputable dealer, but not very phone friendly if that matters. Common Cents in Shallotte N.C. is expencive but very friendly and helpfull. Dixie could go either way depending on who you talk to, but there are no good prices. I'm sure you will find a place to call "home" for your detecting equiptment purchases. Good luck and HH! Chris

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Well for one thing there is high end and really HIGH END. Gold nugget hunters are truly high end. 7 months ago you could have bought a GP3000 new for $3500.. Today on E-Bay as well as in some forums you can buy this used model for $2100. The introduction of Minelab's GP3500 has knocked the price down on older models.So in this case it is a buyers market. When a new detector is introduced? that is the best time to buy bargains. Folks selling their old high end to buy new high end and folks selling the latest model because it did not match the "hype"

I always advise newbies to buy their first detector from a dealer. The dealer can give expert advise on useage and operation for the first timer. However, once you become an old hand at this hobby the decision where to buy is up to you.

Like a lot of folks I check E-Bay as well as forum classifieds to see what is selling at what price. A lot of folks have found good bargains on E-bay.The majority of these sales I imagine are OK, however. there is a down side. Some high end scams(usually Minelab gold detectors). Your E-bay detector may have been "tweaked" by it's previous owner and may need repairs. It may have problems you are not aware of until long after the sale. Of course anytime you buy used you do not have that warranty.

My advise is to buy used high end from dealers only. That's just my opinion as I don't mind spending a bit more to ensure that I don't have any problems. My last two detectors were high end and purchased from dealers(One custom and new $2300 and the other used X-5- $630). Although the X-5 did not have a warranty the $400 savings was well worth it. Used dealers detectors are usually? more than E-Bay but worth it as they are commonly in mint condition or exactly what has been advertised. There are a lot of forums that have dealer classifieds.If you don't see any used models you are seeking just post what used detector you are looking for and wait for the responses.You have to shop around and be prepared to buy quick as great bargains are gone very quickly. If you have problems with that detector when you receive it that dealer will take of it. These dealers have great reputations -any slick and disreputable dealer will not stand up to the limelight of the internet.

Just my 2 cents
George

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Ebay.com will have anything that you want for a used detector. If you buy one on Ebay that is new, with a buy it now price, more than likely you are buying one from someone like Kellyco. If I were going to buy a brand-new detector, I would rather pay a couple extra bucks and support the little guy. There are plenty of other people to support the big guy. Amazon.com also has a bunch of BHers and a couple of different Garretts like the 250 and 1500.

Personally, I would find one on Ebay that someone used a day or two and get a like new detector for half price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread