Sorting jewelry finds & inventory?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So for some reason my jewelry collection happens to outnumber my woman's at least 10 to 1..

I'm curious as to what methods other people use to keep jewelry finds/ebay inventory organized. I have a fairly large jewelry box that I picked up at a goodwill. It has two removable vertical panels for necklaces/bracelets (one on each side) and it has four large drawers. One is completely lined for rings - it isn't quite full yet. Another is set up for earrings.. it's getting messy. As for pendants, pins, and other pieces, I store them in their own small ziplock bag in the other drawers. That's just pure chaos. Even the necklace panels (one for gold, other silver) are getting overpopulated and tangled.

Is the solution another jewelry box? What about organizing the ziplock bags, any suggestions? I was thinking some sort of hanger device that could clip onto the bags. And then be able to rotate like on a turntable. Not sure if anything like that exists.

So how does everyone else organize their jewelry & other items? Do you have a separate section for items that are currently listed, or do you just pull them out when they have sold? Any help is appreciateddddd!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Organized? lol, he said organized! I have a couple plastic bins full. Every now and then i'll pull out a few pieces to sell. That's how mine is organized. One day...

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Organized? lol, he said organized! I have a couple plastic bins full. Every now and then i'll pull out a few pieces to sell. That's how mine is organized. One day...

That is how my costume jewelry is organized. I have one plastic bag of "nicer" pieces, one entirely consisting of Mardi Gras beads, one for shell jewelry, and one for misc.. junk pieces that I will probably resell for like $5-10 at a yardsale or donate.

On the other hand, it must be nice to have a "couple of plastic bins full". Lol, I'd walk into a pawn shop with that just to get a reaction.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bag of "junk" that i will take every so often to my local shop that buys it. and several tiems strewn across my desk, "maybe" bag, nicer items just sitting on desk or in the safe. not very organized here yet either lol.

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hanging jewelry organizers work good. You can hang them on a hook somewhere. They can have approximately 80 pockets. You can get one for under $10. On eBay

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend keeping your gold and silver that you do not wear frequently in a safe. A very heavy safe that cannot be easily hauled out of your house. Costume jewelry in plastic bins, separated in baggies if small earrings etc.

silverwing

Greenie
Jun 24, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
As far as hanging device that spins, you can find them through craft stores. They're generally used for organizing scrapbook supplies. Unfortunately, I just moved so I can't find mine to tell you the name, but I got it through provo craft.

silverwing

Greenie
Jun 24, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
But wait! The power of Google... it's called the 'clip it up', comes in a single or double decker version, and you can get a cover for it.

It should be perfect for jewelry... that's why I bought mine. :-)

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the clear plastic tackle box insets (also sometimes for crafts) with the cover flap removed. Nice square holes to keep specific lots in and organized.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But wait! The power of Google... it's called the 'clip it up', comes in a single or double decker version, and you can get a cover for it.

Thanks, I'll have to look into that.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the clear plastic tackle box insets (also sometimes for crafts) with the cover flap removed. Nice square holes to keep specific lots in and organized.

I've thought about using those and the plastic bead storage containers... But then I thought I don't want to have 50 of this little guy floating around. Maybe a REALLY large one or two.. But I really want everything in one sort of container, even if its fairly sizable. Might not be possible, though. The only thing in not worried about right now is rings.. And that because I picked up an extra ring holder tray at the GW for a buck 99.

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why does it have to be a jewelry box u can use a box with little drawers as for the necklaces put them in straws and cut little slices on the ends and wedge the chain in the slices to keep the straw on .

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why does it have to be a jewelry box u can use a box with little drawers as for the necklaces put them in straws and cut little slices on the ends and wedge the chain in the slices to keep the straw on .

That's an interesting idea! And no it doesn't have to be a jewelry box. Just wanted to discuss any type of sorting tips. I myself want to be able to keep everything divided piece by piece and am just looking for ways to do so without mixing/tangling, etc. the straw idea is something I should try, though.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks exactly like what I imagined. Now if only I could find a bargain on one.. double decker is going for $60 in auction +$12 shipping with over a day left on ebay..

silverwing

Greenie
Jun 24, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Looks exactly like what I imagined. Now if only I could find a bargain on one.. double decker is going for $60 in auction +$12 shipping with over a day left on ebay..

Really? Maybe it's time to sell mine. I got it at a going out of business sale and didn't pay nearly that much... ;-)

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread