Thrift 2 eBay: Tip #1 - Inconspicuous Electronics

Gold_Hunter

Dec 31, 2013
WY
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Tnet Members. Gold_hunter here to share a few tips of the trade that I have learned from doing this for years of buying and reselling. I am going to post one of these tips every so often, hoping to inform any viewer who wishes to learn. At the same time, I want you guys to give your own input so long as it is relevant to the topic. This way, we can combine our knowledge and improve our success. Because let's face it, there are too many deals waiting to be had and we can't possibly buy them all!

My first tip involves a category I deem Inconspicuous Electronics.

What is an inconspicuous electronic? ???
An inconspicuous electronic is an electronic item that a normal thrifter would pass by. This could be due to a lack of product knowledge, lack of interest in the item, or not paying attention. Whichever reason, the phenomena exists and you should take advantage of it!

How can I spot these items?
Pretend you are in the store, in someones parkway, or at a flea market while someone is trying to talk to you (but falling on deaf ears..because your focusing..right?). Step back and take a second to really see what is in front of you. You see VCR recorders, CRT televisions, alarm clocks...and...hey what is this thing? You pick it up, and identify it as one of those credit card things you use at almost every store you shop at.
$_57.JPG

The first thing you do is look at the price. It is $3.99. Okay, so it's not too expensive. But what is it worth? This is the turning point in your search for inconspicuous electronics. You must must must pull out your smart phone and do a "sold listings" search on eBay. eBay sold listings never lies. If it is worth anything, show yourself proof. Sometimes the electronic will be so off the wall, that you won't find anything. But for this specific item, you're in luck.

Click the link below to see the sold listings search with the used search filter for this Hypercom T4220 Credit Card Terminal:
hypercom t4220 | eBay

Does the picture look familiar? This is an item I just sold a few days ago. I paid $3.99 at Goodwill. Why was it listed at only $3.99? Because it flies under the radar of most people as something of value. Letting an auction style format play out for 3 days, I was able to profit $86.68 after eBay fees, PayPal fees, and shipping cost.

ALWAYS TEST YOUR ELECTRONICS BEFORE SELLING!

I will end this post with a small list of other home run deals that I personally have found. If you have another item to contribute to this list, feel free to post it here or message me and I will add it for the benefit of us all.

List of Inconspicuous Electronics:

- Credit Card Terminals
- Media streaming tv devices (Apple TV, Roku, etc.)
- DVD HDR (records and plays DVD's and also records them to an internal or external hard drive)
- Logitech Programmable Remotes (usually have an LCD display)
- Designer Essential Oil Diffusers (Mainly doTerra/puhzen brand)
- High end humidifiers (Air-O-Swiss brand)
- HD DVR's
- Old tube radios (Thanks to user insontis)
Member contributions:
- Check for battery corrosion, bring screwdriver (Thanks to user mjlalt)
- Test item in front of seller, if not working, get the seller to give you a deep discount (Thanks to user jerseyben)

Please post any tips you want to add specific to this topic, or any questions you have!

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good tips, thanks for sharing. Ignore the people who choose to be negative.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I spoke with a pawn shop owner the other day he claimed that electronics are the fastest moving items he has.. Next to guns.

I don't really dabble much in electronics, but if I recognize something as possibly not junk I investigate further. I don't have all the space in the world to store larger items and don't much care for shipping them either. But if I can make decent returns I suppose the effort is worth it.

Good starting list, though! I hope to see people adding more to it. One off the top of my head is old tube radios and those which consist of Bakelite. Probably obvious to most except newer hunters, though.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With electronics always check for battery leakage /corrosion (if it has batteries of course)
I always have a screwdriver on me.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have bought many electronics in the past. I always plug the item in and test it in front of the seller. If it doesnt work, I make sure the seller realizes this, then I offer to buy it at a deep discount. Works almost every time.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought many electronics in the past. I always plug the item in and test it in front of the seller. If it doesnt work, I make sure the seller realizes this, then I offer to buy it at a deep discount. Works almost every time.

So do you fix the items that are broken? Or do you sell for parts/as is?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both. Either way, if you do it right, you will make money guaranteed.

Repair may be be beyond my expertise at the moment. I feel like even if I could figure out how to fix it, I wouldn't know how much it would cost until I go to purchase the necessary parts/etc. May find myself under water real quick. Selling for parts/as is should probably be okay I guess.. if I purchased the items cheap enough.

I'll learn eventually. :P

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Repair may be be beyond my expertise at the moment. I feel like even if I could figure out how to fix it, I wouldn't know how much it would cost until I go to purchase the necessary parts/etc. May find myself under water real quick. Selling for parts/as is should probably be okay I guess.. if I purchased the items cheap enough.

I'll learn eventually. :P

When I buy broken electronics, I usually buying this stuff for a couple bucks. Sometimes 25 cents. Lol

OP
OP
G

Gold_Hunter

Dec 31, 2013
WY
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you guys for contributing your input. I have added a few tips that you guys have posted to the original post.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stereo receivers are good as well as some tape decks. Seems the unknown names are better. I just bought a NAD Resells around $200. Vintage speakers are good too. Telefunken ones were in this huge wood box for $2. They were pretty good resale also. I used to go to the jewelry cabinets all the time. But now it's more worth it to hit the electronics section first. I had purchased one and one of the buttons didn't work when I got home and tested, it I listed it and it still sold for parts for $80!! Who knew!!

silverwing

Greenie
Jun 24, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
I was poking around the habitat for humanity restore yesterday and came across a point of sale receipt printer for 5 bucks. It ought to turn around for $50. So... +1 for inconspicuous electronics. I should have googled all the old tape decks sitting there, too...

OP
OP
G

Gold_Hunter

Dec 31, 2013
WY
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was poking around the habitat for humanity restore yesterday and came across a point of sale receipt printer for 5 bucks. It ought to turn around for $50. So... +1 for inconspicuous electronics. I should have googled all the old tape decks sitting there, too...

Good tip! The brand that holds the most value for resale is ZEBRA direct thermal label printers. I purchased a ZEBRA TLP2824 yesterday for $4.00. And I expect to profit at least $50 and possibly as much as $80 depending on the right buyer.

But remember, if you find a Zebra printer that accepts 4x6" labels, you should keep it! Because eBay's online label system can be set up to print directly to the thermal printer. Just click the preferences tab located at the top right of the page when you go to print a label through eBay. These printers are often compatible with UPS shipping labels as well.

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
Thanks for the great thread. Don't forget graphic calculators, like a TI-83. Usually can pick them up for a buck or two at a garage sale (with the seller complaining how much they had to pay for it for a class for their child), and it can be an easy quick profitable flip on eBay. Even in rather beat up condition, you will still make $$$.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread