South American hardwood

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
... pretty sure it is from Venezuela. Can anyone tell what type of wood this is? It has a very dense dark colored interior with a light outer layer. Quite heavy.

JFZA1616.JPG

Thanks for your help in advance

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd suspect Teak.
Do you have reason to believe it might be something else ?

Teak.jpg

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My first thought was cherry wood, but that's just a shot in the dark. :laughing7:

Beautiful looking wood,
Dave

Upvote 0

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
My buddy went to Belize to help a friend who deals with hard wood. The wood is mined by worker who go down in water 50-80 feet (while holding their breath) with air powered chain saws and remove wood from a lake that was flooded 80 years ago. At one time it was a forest before being flooded. The trees are tied with a cable, cut and dragged to shore. The wood from being in the water for 80 years placed pressure on the grain structure and it has become a very heavy and very wanted and very valuable hard wood. Saw mills are set up on shore, the wood is cut and sent to the USA. And that is what I know !!!! Always enough to get me in trouble. This is what it could be.

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like teak.....the lighter band is the live edge or sap wood that's been left after milling.very hard to tell from the pic.....maybe a couple more pics ? Very beautiful...congrats !!

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy went to Belize to help a friend who deals with hard wood. The wood is mined by worker who go down in water 50-80 feet (while holding their breath) with air powered chain saws and remove wood from a lake that was flooded 80 years ago. At one time it was a forest before being flooded. The trees are tied with a cable, cut and dragged to shore. The wood from being in the water for 80 years placed pressure on the grain structure and it has become a very heavy and very wanted and very valuable hard wood. Saw mills are set up on shore, the wood is cut and sent to the USA. And that is what I know !!!! Always enough to get me in trouble. This is what it could be.

Those guys are one of only a couple companies that deal in the same wood as me. "Greener wood" they some times find the big cuban mahoganies underwater. Always wanted to hunt the hardwood gold like they do...but...I have my own niche right here at home. We are eco friendly also and sell only the best tonal wood for instruments and furniture. All our wood is storm fall or permitted take downs. If a permit is given to cut... 3 more saplings must be planted in its place. We are in a unique position to be one of a handful of cutters that deal in endangered and protected swetenia mahogany or cuban mahogany. the worlds best guitar wood !! I've been cutting like crazy since the whole corona virus thing. Nothing to do but cut cut cut !! Heres a solid body telecaster were building.

The big flame grain mahogany is what were really after....these big thick slabs are the gold I'm after !!

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To properly identify wood species, first finely sand the end grain, removing all scratches. Then take a close up pic of the end grain. Now it's simply a matter of visually comparing your sample to known samples on the internet. Gary

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
To properly identify wood species, first finely sand the end grain, removing all scratches. Then take a close up pic of the end grain. Now it's simply a matter of visually comparing your sample to known samples on the internet. Gary

ToddsPoint... I sure appreciate ya. Ive tried comparing the wood I have to examples pulled up on the net and haven't (so far) seen any matching pics. Can you enlighten me with any helpful links?
many thanks.

and thanks as well to all that commented. You guys are a real asset.

Upvote 0

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Looks like Brazilian Cherry to me. I used to work at a place which made custom staircase components and we used a lot of it. Really dense, really heavy, and very hard on saw blades and CNC bits.

Upvote 0

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those guys are one of only a couple companies that deal in the same wood as me. "Greener wood" they some times find the big cuban mahoganies underwater. Always wanted to hunt the hardwood gold like they do...but...I have my own niche right here at home. We are eco friendly also and sell only the best tonal wood for instruments and furniture. All our wood is storm fall or permitted take downs. If a permit is given to cut... 3 more saplings must be planted in its place. We are in a unique position to be one of a handful of cutters that deal in endangered and protected swetenia mahogany or cuban mahogany. the worlds best guitar wood !! I've been cutting like crazy since the whole corona virus thing. Nothing to do but cut cut cut !! Heres a solid body telecaster were building.

The big flame grain mahogany is what were really after....these big thick slabs are the gold I'm after !!

That is awesome! I’ve been watching Netflix and getting fat.

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a rosewood to me. Brazilian Cherry is a good guess. I build acoustic guitars and Ukuleles and it reminds me of some of my top and back plates. The more I look at the photo it really does look like South American Mahogany.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joe Strong

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What wood tools do you use? Actually, I am looking to purchase a wood cutting tool on toolsbros but confused to find the best.

Upvote 0

Joe Strong

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What wood tools do you use? Actually, I am looking to purchase a wood cutting tool on toolsbros but confused to find the best.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread