early 1800s home site and privy?

stillwater

Mar 18, 2009
Sterling, Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Hey T"netters- any ideas as to age? 1809 half cent (not toasted for sure!) plus a large cent (no pic, Mick dug), Pottery is especially interesting to me. And this must be a privy, correct?? 2nd pic has the 5 ft probe buried to the hilt (cleared the leaves around the depressed approx 3-4 ft square to show the clear edges. What's to be found down there? Any advice on digging it? And the pottery.. any age ideas? Some looks like modern art :-). IMG-0746.jpg Loudoun Coun IMG-0747.jpg IMG-0739.jpg ty VA. IMG-0759.jpg 1809 Half Cent.jpg Could a person who made pottery for a living have lived it here. Flat buttons all over and only hunted by us two for a couple days. Thanks for thoughts and advice fellow treasure hunters!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All of your finds look like what we mostly uncover on mid-19thc homestead sites. :thumbsup:
The larger pieces of pottery indicate they weren't found in a plowed field, but were simply dis-guarded close to the house after they broke.

I like this little relic, looks like a pocket watch winder. :icon_scratch:
Dave

Attachments

• IMG-0746-crop.jpg
    IMG-0746-crop.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0
OP
OP
stillwater

stillwater

Mar 18, 2009
Sterling, Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Thanks Antiquarian- Pocket watch winder, appreciate that ID. Wondering what might be down in that at least 5' privy. Guess we will find out next weekend, if all goes as planned.

Upvote 0

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the half cent! Second one I have seen posted so far this week (it's only Monday!). Good luck in the privy!

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Antiquarian- Pocket watch winder, appreciate that ID. Wondering what might be down in that at least 5' privy. Guess we will find out next weekend, if all goes as planned.

Based on your finds and your choice of quality detectors, I'm assuming that you're an experienced hunter, so you probably already had an idea what this little piece was. :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you on your dig of the privy this weekend,
Dave

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread