South east Texas Ghost town

scubamike

Sep 1, 2008
Spring/The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter/Garrett GTI 2500
Does anybody know anything about the old sawmill ghost town called Fostoria. It is out 105 between Cut n shoot and Cleveland. There are signs for it and it has foundations but i don't know who ownes the land. It has an interesting history. Google Fostoria Texas if you are interested. If any one knows how to get onto this land let's give it a shot!

Mike

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phone the County Tax Assessor where the ghost town is located. They probably can tell you right quick. Monty

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
I was out there about a week before Ike looking around again. There is a "main" area of town but super grown up. I also asked the guy at the store across for the old building if he knew who owned it an and left a business card for the dude to call me if he comes in. No call back yet, I located one of the old sawmills as well, all locked up and no one around. Its really easy to find, just hang a left after Splendora on 59 North and its Fostoria Rd.

It does have some good history Mike,

Attachments

• FOSTORIA.jpg
    FOSTORIA.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 761

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Found this picture on google, This is the area where there is a sawmill located behind this lady. There is a newer weigh station off to the right as well.

Attachments

• FOSTORIA.jpg
    FOSTORIA.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 1,173

whitt459

Feb 20, 2006
google frost-johnson lumber co. for info. on sawmill towns in east texas as they had many mills in nac. san aug. and sabine cos.. camp worth was on the san aug. - shelby co. line i vagley remember when they removed the last of the houses in around 1946 or 47 they had a very large mill at haslem tx. uptill about 1952. hope this helps. whitt459

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the info Whitt, Any idea where the original sites may be? There is some pretty deep history out there. I am sure many of the homes have been removed and relocated.

Its such a large area on Fostoria Rd. It would be nice to find out where the original area was. I have a map from 1937 showing the area but its pretty vague and does not show much. I also have a bit of inside info of where the old store was but I haven't confirmed it yet.

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
I'm fairly sure I found the mill site on google. It is easy to see the forests that were milled because of the replanted and lined up trees. Also, you know it is going to be right next to the RR tracks and it had a water float pond for the lumber.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread