Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Minton7,

I'm not sure what conditions your looking in, and how long ago.
Try the shed/garage area, the roof, under any decks, stairs.

Was the gentlemen a gardner? If so, try the garden beds.
Check the discolouration of the grass/soil from every vantage point you can.
Look for any ditches .... this is best done after it rains as the spot would be soft.

Where else did he fish? did he hunt too? maybe check the bushes were one would hide.

Stand at the house and look for the most descrete place and then any landmarks such as trees, rocks. Then try to stand at the pond and do the same.

Check the spare tyre of the car he used. fence posts.... hmmmm keep us updated
(Hope I helped in any way that could lead you to find it - if you do find it with my hints maybe send a explorer se my way :) )

wannabeafinder

Apr 5, 2007
kentucky
Detector(s) used
white xlt
My father suffered from demetia and I would search the house--crawl space, attic, cars anyplace--it would have been hard to dig the soil for him --if he did this then I'm thinking its in the house or surronding area--is there a chimney-Dad was fixated on chimneys

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Find out where the mower was stored. It'll be within 10 feet of there (probably under the floor of the shed, or stashed in some wall paneling.) And don't forget to look up high too. Even old people can drag a stepladder to where they need to use it. ;)

GarrettGuy

May 22, 2012
Bethel, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you followed up on this?

OK guys n gals I have an opportunity for us all.... I have been approached to find a buried stash.... here are the details:

A lady, who is in her mid 50's, lost her husband 4 years ago to dementia. He got very confused and paranoid at times esp. after several strokes. he went to the bank and withdrew $10,000.00 in cash from their savings account. The bank didnt notify her until 2 weeks later, she asked him about it and he told her it was none of her business what he had done with the $$. During this time, she noticed that his old metal tackle box disappeared out of the garage. He always, even up to the end, would ride the lawn mower up to their pond and sit n fish for hours. She feels he buried the box and $$ somewhere up there, he would have had only a shovel, and he was fairly old(25 yrs older than her) so it probably wouldn't be buried that deep. They have had divers come in and check the pond to make sure that he didnt toss the box in there in a confused state.... I have hunted with my trusty White's Spectrum XLT but have had no luck... I really do not have the proper equipment for this endeavor at least in my mind.... there is quite a bit of area to cover .......

The deal is that if I find it, I get half...... so I am offering half of my half to anyone who thinks they can come help me find it..... I am thinking that we would need some kind of sonar unit or something... but am open to suggestions

Just curious to what came of this. I live in Bethel,Ohio which is 30 miles East of Cincinnati. I will help if it isn't too far.

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the old gentleman said that he buried the money, then I am betting that he did bury it. I am in Columbus and I could help, but, I don't have a two-box setup.

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is really old. I take it nothing came of it.

Movies make us imagine that $10k is larger than it is. The old man wouldn't have needed a tackle box. A simple ziplock baggy would have worked fine. People like to hid money close, or at least within eye shot. but let's be honest, he could have just been conned by someone and the money's long gone.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe he DID withdraw the cash, but it was to pay for his OTHER family and kids he had or something! He just used the dementia thing as a cover story...

;)

valsabbion

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2012
Boca Raton
Detector(s) used
the best one :-) custom made
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Minton , I do have the right equipment for this but I was burned several times for a similar opportunity. The only deal we can possibly made is that you pay me a plane ticket that I can come to you. Then I will proof to you that I can find any money that you will hide somewhere in the field . After this you will pay me the rest of my transporting cost including the hotel(unless I sleep at your place) and then we can do business. This story looks little to nice to me, how do you know if this guy didn't give this money to somebody !?

valsabbion

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2012
Boca Raton
Detector(s) used
the best one :-) custom made
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again Minton7 , I did send you a message this morning and I am thinking all day why I didn't remember to tell you in case I fail the test I mentioned in my first message, I will immediately pay you in cash the refund +25% and I will go home with the first plane. If you are really sure that this money is there , I wont have any problem to find it :-) 561-503-0149

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Why not get an old and new satellite phot of the place and look for disturbed soil, might give you a better idea of where to hunt. Also, does it have to be limited to the pond, maybe its actually in a building (house/garage).

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like this story is dead. Anyway, the money would have been hidden in the house or a building, not in the dirt, unless he was a real loony. They like it near by, so they can retrieve some when they need it. And he sure wouldnt have dumped it in the water. Who makes up all these stories, anyway?

pops9653

Apr 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could see him putting it in the tackle box and then hiding it some where. I think the digging would be a chore for a man of that age but I have seen men in their 90's that could out work me so you never know.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I still lived in Southern Ohio. If you are from there, and over say 40 years of age, you will remember the old timers and how they acted. The depression really left a mark on them. It is very likely the gentleman buried the money. It would not be far from where he could ride the mower. It would be under a rock, in a hollow tree, or under a root. When this guys says large area, well a picture wouldn't do it justice. I think any detector would do a good job if he got close. Look for the biggest tree, or a fruit tree. Even as old as 75 I knew old timers who could live in the woods for days. But would keep the search simple. This goes for any real old money your looking for. He would not put it in the pond. Sad this is a old thread.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do all treasure hunters like to make things difficult? Maybe so it can be a real treasure hunt?? My father liked to watch TV, and next to his chair was a pile of newspapers, and thats where he hid his money. The only problem was he forgot he put it there, so he would ask someone to take him to the bank, and he would always draw out $5000, go to buy food for the week, put the small bills in his wallet, and the rest in the newspapers. When the small money was gone, he would go get another 5k, week after week. I dont know how much money was used to start the fire in the morning! Yes, he had money hid in other places too, but as far as I know, all in the house or in the basement. Not a good idea to bury money, and even if he was a bit loony, he knew not to bury it. He needed to get to his money, so it was where no one would notice when he went there, to his "bank". Under the bed, under the carpet, in secret places in the book shelf, in back of books, in the out buildings, but favorite place was the basement. Modern houses have so many places to hid money, no use to bury it, and even then, not dig a hole 3 ft deep!!!

K

Kentucky Kache

Why not get an old and new satellite phot of the place and look for disturbed soil, might give you a better idea of where to hunt. Also, does it have to be limited to the pond, maybe its actually in a building (house/garage).

This is probably the best suggestion I've seen on this. Of course it may not be in the ground, but I think there's a pretty good chance that it is. Also, a good blacklight would help in the same way

Minton7, are you still here?

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you believe in dowsers I would look one up even on the internet,would cost 20 bucks or so cut down a lot of time and looking. But first as someone said see if he REALLY DID get the money from the bank from a bank statement or withdraw statement somewheres. A fishing tackle box is a whopper unless its one you stick in your vest or pocket. If it was a plastic container look up a dowser or maybe a fortune teller in your area. This just a thought as that is a lot of money to leave laying in the dirt. ya gotta start somewheres.

K

Kentucky Kache

The OP said the tackle box was metal. Had it been plastic, it still would probably have metal lures inside it, and maybe metal rivets. In that case, I would prefer a detector with a large coil, over a two box, as they will pick up on smaller objects while still detecting deep. But this box is supposed to be metal.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a two box I have never used, I could airmail to yah, if you promis to return it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions