Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sort of,lol. I hunt plowed fields, pastureland and some woods. I do go to a few parks and schools now and then. My favorite machine is out or production now, had to send it in for some repair work this past summer. Was told parts are becoming slim,thus; Im looking for a replacement and not particular about a which brand.
I was hot on an ETrac and almost bought one but a few things got in the way and I didnt, maybe good,maybe bad. I like knobs and simplicity.
I know the Sov is a slow sweeper,no problems there. And I know it takes a lot of time to learn its language.
But, if I recall correctly, its doesnt (perform??) as well in mild soil vs heavier mineralization and my ground is pretty mild.
Biggest thing with me right now is time and this new year isnt looking any better,but that doesnt mean I cant find some time to learn it at least.
Well, there it is and you can throw other suggestions my way if you dont mind. Seems iron is the most abundant trash I hear.
Happy New Year,
John

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
My (ex) Sov was no depth demon at all, high iron soil or otherwise.

The only good thing about it was that it ran smoother and quieter than most other machines. It had trouble cancelling aluminum, nickels, and pulltabs when the soil got bad though. In some soils it couldn't cancel the above at all. I didn't like the weight. My cz-70 ran circles around it, especially as regards to depth in harsh (high Fe) soils, and in spite of the Fisher's propensity to over-discriminate it still beat the slow Sov processing speed, but neither did well with aluminum, pulltabs, and nickels in high magnetite/hematite soils. I'd opt for something better, even a White's, but not a Garrett or Nautilus with their very old 1980's technology still inside the box.

The Sovs have troubles in real trashy areas, especially with large rusty iron.

LL

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Don't under estimate the Nautilus. There may be some old tech there, but it is still one of the best relic hunters out there. I also like the Tesoro Tejon for plowed fields, etc... It is very light and very capable with a lifetime warranty. Let us know what you end up with.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the Sov GT in the Michigan woods and fields and thought it did well. Larger iron can set it off even with the Iron Mask turned on as with other detectors. I think it beats my DFX on depth, but I never have carried the two detectors with me at the same time to compare on the same target. The Sov GT is lots better as a hip mount and a inline probe which is hip mounted too.

I am waiting till spring to play with my new Tejon which is lots lighter in weight. I've only used a Tejon a couple times a year ago while testing one for the store.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
I like the Sov but it is more than a bit slow for me.

The MXT handles the ground real well in plowed fields that 6x10 coil is great.

Just got the F75LTD other than chatty which I knew it may be the ticket. Had the Explore again slow going for me and the weight.

:thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 Sov GTs and I love them. Both have the CoilTec WOT coil and the land version also has the new SEF Butterfly coil (15" x 18") I have pulled up targets well over 12-14 inches deep at the beach with mine. I have hunted fields with it some, although I am primarily a water hunter and got good depth on mine. I am not a fast sweeper, I prefer to go slow and let the detector process all the information. The Sovereign has a good rep in Europe as well, especially in England and has good reviews from there as well. http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/sovgt.htm

Good luck on what ever detector you choose.... :icon_thumright:

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
It's your decision on which machine you choose.

If you are asking for help in deciding on a good machine you really fall short in telling us just exactly what you are searching for.

I assume since you mention pastures, woods and some schools etc. that you are a relic hunter who also likes to hunt for coins occasionally.

I use a Tesoro Tejon for relic hunting and it is a super good relic machine with great depth, especially in very wet soil. It does fall short on coin hunting because it can drive you nuts in really trashy areas.

If you are going to stick with the relic hunting then I would recommend saving money on more expensive machines and go with the Tesoro Tejon or the Minelab X-terra 705.

If you do plan on doing some coin hunting then maybe the 705 would better fulfill your needs. There is a lot of good talk on various forums on the new 705 from Minelab. Some say they have replaced their Tejon with the 705 for relic hunting because it is just as deep. I am not replacing my Tejon as it is a very light and has lightning fast circuitry for finding those small relic spots in large areas.

I have both machines. I plan on using the 705 for coin hunting and I might add that I think this machine is probably the best machine Minelab has produced. It is superbly engineered and I think it will do what the other more expensive machines will do for half the price.

In 40 years I have had a whole bunch of machines. Some that I have owned and would stay away from are the Garrett which I did not like at all; high end nautilus which are extremely complicated and have at least ten adjustment knobs; White's DFX which believe me had nowhere near the depth of my Tejon and I got rid of it as soon as I realized that; I have also read not so good reviews on the new Fisher's and of course stay away from the Bounty Hunter's, one machine that I never owned.

Good luck

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still havn't had anyone Prove
their Machine can find something Mine Can't

Of course I Don't remember the Opposite Happening either.

so Far I Think IF I Swing over it,
I'll find it. & The DD Coil helps me swing over more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread