Sovereign GT or Explorer XS

BMS

Jan 8, 2007
Hello,

Last summer I sold my Vaquero because it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I wanted a slightly more versatile machine that would perform decently in wet salt water beaches as well as on dry land.

I know that the Sovereign GT and other Sovereigns have a good reputation for performing on the beach and on land. How does the Explorer XS or Explorer II compare? Which would be preferred ? I am looking at picking one up used. Thanks.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
BMS said:
Hello,

Last summer I sold my Vaquero because it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I wanted a slightly more versatile machine that would perform decently in wet salt water beaches as well as on dry land.

I know that the Sovereign GT and other Sovereigns have a good reputation for performing on the beach and on land. How does the Explorer XS or Explorer II compare? Which would be preferred ? I am looking at picking one up used. Thanks.
I think the ..Sovereign..is a better detector than the Explorer just as deep and a lot less money and you do not have to be a...Technician... to run it most people only use the preset on the ..Explorer..any how..... The ..Sovereign.. you can sell for about 75% of what you paid for them...The ..Explorer...you are lucky if you get 50% back for what you put out.And the ..Sovereign will go just as deep as the ..Explorer ..and find as much if not more...... ==Jim==

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
Well; if you want to detect instead of fiddling with the programs....get a GT! It will be an easier transition going from the vaquero. I just sold my vaquero and got a GT

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
tab jingle elf said:
Well; if you want to detect instead of fiddling with the programs....get a GT! It will be an easier transition going from the vaquero. I just sold my vaquero and got a GT
Well ....Tab Jingle.. is right with the GT you can go out and detect with a Explorer all you do is program......................................................==Jim==

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
roachnjim said:
tab jingle elf said:
Well ....Tab Jingle.. is right with the GT you can go out and detect with a Explorer all you do is program......................................................==Jim==

All you do is program? ;D If you know an Explorer you know it isn't much different than any other detector. So you set your "Iron Mask" and not discrinimation, now that's a tuffy! When the Explorer XS came out only a small % of Sov. users who made the switch ever went back so based on that I would have to think most would disagree with you.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tab jingle elf said:

You'd be doing lots of fiddling, or maybe head shaking with a GTI on a salt shore as the poster states he wants the detector for. The GTI, definitely a knife at a gun fight in that situation.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
tab jingle elf said:

You'd be doing lots of fiddling, or maybe head shaking with a GTI on a salt shore as the poster states he wants the detector for. The GTI, definitely a knife at a gun fight in that situation.
No one said ..GTI..a GTI is a Garrett.........A ...GT...is a Minelab Sovereign.......==Jim==

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
roachnjim said:
Iron Patch said:
tab jingle elf said:

No one said ..GTI..a GTI is a Garrett.........A ...GT...is a Minelab Sovereign.......==Jim==

hahaha my eyes are getting worse than I thought, I seen an "I" for the exclamation point. Time to raise the resolution on my text I think.

Good thing cuz I might be blind but someone arguing a Garrett GTI for salt water would be crazy. ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Iron Patch said:
roachnjim said:
Iron Patch said:
tab jingle elf said:

hahaha my eyes are getting worse than I thought, I seen an "I" for the exclamation point. Time to raise the resolution on my text I think.

Good thing cuz I might be blind but someone arguing a Garrett GTI for salt water would be crazy. ;D

sooner or later someone would do it though! :D as far as the GT over the Explorer, both are great machines, on land and in salt sand. the Explorer is more complicated but not as much as some folks think. more complicated also equals more flexible. the GT is more straight forward but is also a great machine. you really cant go wrong with either.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
hollowpointred said:
Iron Patch said:
roachnjim said:
Iron Patch said:
tab jingle elf said:

sooner or later someone would do it though! :D as far as the GT over the Explorer, both are great machines, on land and in salt sand. the Explorer is more complicated but not as much as some folks think. more complicated also equals more flexible. the GT is more straight forward but is also a great machine. you really cant go wrong with either.
You are right they are both great detectors but i like the .Sovereign.. so i always say..Sovereign.....==Jim==

OP
OP
B

BMS

Jan 8, 2007
Thank you for the input. It seems that I can't go wrong with either. I will keep my eyes out for the best deal. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread