X-Terra vs Quattro

Willy

From what I've read on the various forums, YES. There is a caveat though.. the Quattro does have some larger coils available for it, which would tend to offset that discrepancy, at least in low-trash areas. ..Willy.

JohnA

Dec 5, 2007
I have both. As usual, Willy is exactly right. I like both of them. Use the Quattro only with a large coil for ground coverage and maybe some increased depth. Use the X-70 with the smaller coils for everything else.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
JohnA said:
I have both. As usual, Willy is exactly right. I like both of them. Use the Quattro only with a large coil for ground coverage and maybe some increased depth. Use the X-70 with the smaller coils for everything else.
John How does the Quattro compare to the X-terra 70 the Quattro is one i have never used. I see a lot of bad reviews for the Quattro are they deserved or from ones that have not used Minelabs and do not understand Minelab they are a little diffrent and takes getting use to? My self i am a Minelab lover........==Jim==

freeze12

Jul 29, 2004
Buffalo,NY
Detector(s) used
*Ground Hawk*--*Minelab Quattro*--*Tesoro Tejon*
roachnjim said:
JohnA said:
John How does the Quattro compare to the X-terra 70 the Quattro is one i have never used. I see a lot of bad reviews for the Quattro are they deserved or from ones that have not used Minelabs and do not understand Minelab they are a little diffrent and takes getting use to? My self i am a Minelab lover........==Jim==
I own a Quattro and it it the biggest $850.00 mistake I ever made as I went on the advice of the dealer who sold it to Me.It is Minelabs biggest Turkey! So many things wrong about it...recovery is horrible as when I get a signal & then pull away it stays there & I have to swing My metal digging tool in front of the coil just to get the machine to recover amongst other problems.
It is going in the trash where it belongs & am purchasing a GOOD detectorthis Spring."caveat emptor"

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
...Freeze12,..Thanks for the input..."Buyer Beware"...you are right on there......................==Jim==

relikhunter

Jul 17, 2006
S.E. kansas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gtp 1350
I had a quattro for a short time.High density option was a joke,as was the recovery speed.It would go deep but constantly nulled on everythign is you had a disc.program set up.Even called minelab to see if they could speed up the recovery,they tried to sell me a ex II.So i traded it off and never looked back.Just my experience yours may be different????????? hh rh

JohnA

Dec 5, 2007
Well, the Quattro is a slow machine. Until I got the X-70, I would use the 8" Minelab coil where there were lots of targets. I run in All Metal. It is noisy, but I got used to it and the Ferrous tones really help for bottle caps and other ferrous trash with the higher TID readings. Like an Explorer. I like it enough that I bought a 10X14 Excelerator new, a used X-12 and a new 8" Minelab for it. I use it with the larger coils on the beach, where targets are scattered, and it shines there for ground coverage and depth. I have to admit that it took lots of target ID'ing and recovery to learn to trust and like it. A longer learning curve than the X-70 for sure. I would suggest putting together a test garden, if it is driving you crazy in the field. It would probably shorten the frustration time a bit. Don't give up on it. Good luck.

lessthanzero

Aug 17, 2007
Southern AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's, they are the BEST......
Hey Freeze, you gonna sell that Quattro? :) I love the X-Terra's but have always wanted to take on the challenge of the Quattro........ 8)

freeze12

Jul 29, 2004
Buffalo,NY
Detector(s) used
lessthanzero said:
Hey Freeze, you gonna sell that Quattro? :) I love the X-Terra's but have always wanted to take on the challenge of the Quattro........ 8)
I would love to but, I really do not want anyone to be stuck with this piece of junk.It's a shame because I have extra lower shaft,rech. batt. pack,regular battery packs etc. that I invested into this unit.
I have had several conversations with one of the owners of "Tesoro" and have been impressed & he is very frank in which machine\s will have a high learning curve and am leaning into purchasing a "Tesoro"
Sorry...but the "Quattro will be destroyed & thrown in the trash.... Shame on Minelab for producing such an expensive machine & then making nothing but excuses when You call them regarding the problems so many have complained about the unit & more.PS: last year I only took it out 2 times & became frustrated with the problems with the detector.
Please do not get Me wrong as I love to metal detect but it is so disappointing when You have invested so much (over $1,000) & received so little for Your expensive investment!
"Thanks for nothing Minelab" :'(

lessthanzero

Aug 17, 2007
Southern AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's, they are the BEST......
freeze12 said:
lessthanzero said:
I would love to but, I really do not want anyone to be stuck with this piece of junk.It's a shame because I have extra lower shaft,rech. batt. pack,regular battery packs etc. that I invested into this unit.
I have had several conversations with one of the owners of "Tesoro" and have been impressed & he is very frank in which machine\s will have a high learning curve and am leaning into purchasing a "Tesoro"
Sorry...but the "Quattro will be destroyed & thrown in the trash.... Shame on Minelab for producing such an expensive machine & then making nothing but excuses when You call them regarding the problems so many have complained about the unit & more.PS: last year I only took it out 2 times & became frustrated with the problems with the detector.
Please do not get Me wrong as I love to metal detect but it is so disappointing when You have invested so much (over $1,000) & received so little for Your expensive investment!
"Thanks for nothing Minelab" :'(

Man, that is akin to shooting the family dog. I want to save it from this untimely death. I am now on an "official" Quattro rescue mission, I have a huge desert where it can roam and live free. It will have X-Terra's for cousins and constant companions. Come on, give us a chance..........

jayallday14

Jul 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Excal 1000
Don't kill the Quattro!!! I have one and love it. I usually run in all metal and use a 5 inch coil when in trashy areas. I do have to say that it is "slow" when discriminating, so all metal is the way to go. It is a deep seeker, I find coins consistenly at 7 to 8 inches on land. When I lived in Hawaii I could hit the beach and expect smooth running. Please don't kill the Quattro!!!! Just give it a chance....or give it to me!!!!

freeze12

Jul 29, 2004
Buffalo,NY
Detector(s) used
jayallday14 said:
Don't kill the Quattro!!! I have one and love it. I usually run in all metal and use a 5 inch coil when in trashy areas. I do have to say that it is "slow" when discriminating, so all metal is the way to go. It is a deep seeker, I find coins consistenly at 7 to 8 inches on land. When I lived in Hawaii I could hit the beach and expect smooth running. Please don't kill the Quattro!!!! Just give it a chance....or give it to me!!!!
When I first got the Quattro I did give it a chance... 1 years worth.I did try all metal mode & the thing will not recover after I lift the coil.The only way that I could get it to recover was to wave My metal digging tool in front of the coil & max it out,now thats not right.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jayallday14 said:

What good is it if you can only run it in all metal to get depth?
You could use any old '80's white's metal detector on all metal and get 7" - 8".

Sounds like that machine needs some updated hardware.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Never used a Quatrro, but could it be possible you got a bad unit/coil? Have you at one point or another tried to send it to them for inspection? I know I would've after all that investing in $. On another note, I'm not 100% on this, but I don't think the Quattro is running on technology much different from the Explorer. I see the Quattro as a simpler Explorer for those who do not want all the hassle, or those who prefer a visual/screen that resembles other detectors.

jayallday14

Jul 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Excal 1000
I expect there may be a manufacturing flaw with it. I dont recall ever having that issue with mine. Like I said I love mine, but I am saving to get the Exp SE , and keep the Quattro as a back-up.

jayallday14

Jul 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Excal 1000
Kas said:
jayallday14 said:

What good is it if you can only run it in all metal to get depth?
You could use any old '80's white's metal detector on all metal and get 7" - 8".

Sounds like that machine needs some updated hardware.

I dont run in all metal neccessarily for the depth. It is just a faster detector in all metal. Like many have said, it is a slow detector. 7 to 8 inches is the average depth I will go to recover something, but I have had good solid hits a bit deeper, just depends if I feel like digging deeper..

freeze12

Jul 29, 2004
Buffalo,NY
Detector(s) used
jayallday14 said:
I expect there may be a manufacturing flaw with it. I dont recall ever having that issue with mine. Like I said I love mine, but I am saving to get the Exp SE , and keep the Quattro as a back-up.
I sent the Quattro back when I first got it & Minelab sent it back wit an "all okay" Still had all the problems & called Vegas so many times & got nothing but excuses from them...So talking with the owner of Tesoro numerous times I am impressed with all that was discussed. Live & learn I guess >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions