Sovereign GT ordered and on its way..what accessories?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your going to love the Sov GT, I have a Sov GT and in my opinion it would depend on what kind of hunting your going to do. I'm mainly a beach hunter so I have the WOT and the 10 inch stock coil, I also have 2 meters the 180 Digimeter and the SunRay DTI II meter.

The WOT coil is great for covering a lot of area, it is also a hot coil and I really love using it, it goes deep and I can cover a lot more area with it. I have used it in parks and playgrounds as well as the beach. As long as it isn't a trashy area it works great. I am not saying you need it, only that it works great on beaches and if you have large non-trashy areas (fields) to hunt. I have hunted playgrounds and parks with mine. When I get multiple targets hits close together I attacked them from different directions to isolate them.

I would pick up the Joey coil myself if I ever catch a good deal on it, have heard good reports on it.

I also use a harness on all my detectors except the Whites 6000 XL PRO, I never get a tired arm and it allows me to let go of the detector and it hangs by my side.

Good luck and good hunting.....

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I try a lot of metal detectors and to date the Sovereign GT was by a mile the best. No other detector was even close.

I recall my first hour using it I dug a very old belt buckle beside the walkway to my office! it was about 14 inches deep. I had hunted that spot hundreds of times with many detectors over 15 years.

I think the very best coil is the stock coil.

Badger

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it is hard to beat that ...Sovereign... and i like the X-Terra 70 also........I sent your answer to your question to your Email......==Jim==

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
The Soveriegn Gt is awesome. The best detector I have ever used. I have the 180 meter and the sunray probe. It gets a bit heavy when you start adding accessories. The stock 10" tornado coil is awesome, I also got the 8" tornado it doesn't seem to loose much depth and makes trashy areas a breeze to sift through.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Elite model. The Joey Coil seems to get really high marks on reviews. I don't have one yet though. I bought the 15 inch WOT coil because I do beach hunt here in Florida. I also relic hunt and coin shoot in parks. The WOT hasn't performed in that arena well because the areas I hunt are pretty trashy. I also haven't had many hours on the WOT to maybe figure out if it is me and not the coil. It works really great on the beach.

You will find that the 10 inch stock coil is very deep. I enjoy using it. I would say that from my years of detecting, (18+), you have to have a small coil in your arsenal.

The 5 inch SunRay Intruder would be a really wise investment. I have always had a small coil to hunt with because I usually hunt trashy areas and construction areas when old buildings are demolished. That small coil pays big dividends in that environment. Even though the Sovereign is good at picking things out of trash with the stock coils, the extra benefit of the small powerful coil can't be beat to really get between and below the trash. I just got my Sovereign and it came with the 10 and 8 inch coils. I have the big 15 inch coil for the beach. My next will be the 5 inch SunRay.

Good Luck!

Jim

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
Best detector iv ever owned!! get a Sun Ray S5 coil for land and high trash area and a S12 for the beach and you are set! the S12 is lighter than the stock 10" coil and iv dug many dimes over 12" deep with it.if they made a GT thats water proof id own 3 of them! good luck DD

S

seger98

I have been using the Sov GT for 3 years now, and as the saying goes, "I wouldn't leave home without it"! LOL I leave my metal mode on "discriminate". I leave the notch and disc turned all the down to the left. That is supposed to give you further depth, and I believe it does. BUT.....running the machine on those settings, the digi-meter is a MUST. Once you've learned what the numbers are telling you, you will know what you're digging 95% of the time before you dig it. I set my meter at 180 for a pre-1982 copper penny, if it comes up 178, I know it's a post-1982 zinc penny. 183, it's a quarter, and so on.......I also have a 14 inch coil that is also supposed to give you greater depth, but it's a little harder to pinpoint while using it. I live in Northern WI and the U.P. of MI in the summer and don't have as much of a need for the 14 incher because the frost keeps bringing new things up every spring. Even the copper artifacts that I find that as much as 4000-5000 years old are seldom more than 6-7 inches deep. I hope this helps you. If you have any questions feel free to ask. seger

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The first thing I would get would be a meter. The Sov is very good at identifying targets, even at depth. If you get a used one, try and get one that reads on the 180 scale.

Take your time with it and try all the settings, the Sov is a great machine.

HH
Neil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread