Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was in the 30's here in my area of NC this afternoon, but I had to get out. I only had a few hours to detect so I hit a place close to home that I just gained permission to a few weeks ago. It was built in the 1800's and has many acres of soybean fields behind it and across the street. My first trip here yielded an ornate silver pocketwatch cover and a 1940 Merc. Today was my second time here and after digging up some coins (modern & one wheat) and a few relics in the yard, I took to the back field. Digging a few pieces of crappe' (trash) out in the field and freezing my backside off :o I set my discrimination way up to weed out the junk. I started to work my way back towards the house and got a good signal. Here's the results of that wonderful signal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLTK5e56uW4

It turned out to be a 1945 Standing Walking Liberty half. :hello2: Not really old or rare, but it is my first large silver after all these years of detecting. :icon_thumleft: I love detecting in large fields and finding something decent out in the middle of nowhere. It's a great feeling. :love4:

Any idea what the latch looking thing is? It says "O.T. Co. - Pat. 1898 , 1903, 1914."
SOLVED:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=371456.msg2637271#msg2637271

Thanks for looking,
Frozen Miner ;D

Attachments

• DSCN4001.JPG
    DSCN4001.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 2,107
  • DSCN4002.JPG
    DSCN4002.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,104
  • MVC-178S.JPG
    MVC-178S.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 2,100
  • MVC-176S.JPG
    MVC-176S.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,108
  • MVC-181S.JPG
    MVC-181S.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 2,082
  • MVC-180S.JPG
    MVC-180S.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,088
  • MVC-179S.JPG
    MVC-179S.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 2,092
  • MVC-177S.JPG
    MVC-177S.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,100
  • MVC-182S.JPG
    MVC-182S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 2,079
  • MVC-183S.JPG
    MVC-183S.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,079
Upvote 0

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Great dig Doug! I hope to do some detecting the week after Christmas..... Congrats on the first large silver :hello2: Merry Christmas

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nc-joe said:
Great dig Doug! I hope to do some detecting the week after Christmas..... Congrats on the first large silver :hello2: Merry Christmas

Thanks Joe.
She ain't a big $ coin, but she looks lovely to me. :love4:
Have a great holiday,
Doug

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Thats awesome! Isnt it great to see big silver coming out of the ground! Yah, its getting cold here to, but i believe I will keep going until things freeze too deep to dig! ATA-BOY on your first! Johnny 8)

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Fred Sanford, you really dug the junk but got a nice SL half in the bargain. Congrats on your first. ANY SL half you can read the date on is a good strike. Most of the few I have dug CW relic hunting are like you in high school-DATELESS. WTG and HH, Quindy.

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos for braving the weather, and congrats on the Walker :icon_thumright: I found one of those on my second trip out, and will probably never find another. Goes to show you never can tell. HH BS

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats MM , on those finds and especially the first big ol Walker silver , cool video , and wear some long johns out in the field . The forests are warmer on the feet , that's where you will find me ...it's deep woods time up here , and Sunday is the only day you won't get shot ::) . Have a great end to 2010 and the Best New Year :headbang: :thumbsup: dawg

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny Ringo Silver said:
Thats awesome! Isnt it great to see big silver coming out of the ground! Yah, its getting cold here to, but i believe I will keep going until things freeze too deep to dig! ATA-BOY on your first! Johnny 8)

Thanks Johnny. :icon_thumleft:
I wasn't expecting this coin at all to be out there. ;D
Come on silver dollar!
-MM-

Blind Squirrel said:
Kudos for braving the weather, and congrats on the Walker :icon_thumright: I found one of those on my second trip out, and will probably never find another. Goes to show you never can tell. HH BS

Thanks Squirrel,
I would have like to continue, but the snow turned to sleet and my face & feet were frozen. :tongue3:
I was expecting maybe a few IH's or an LC, but not a large silver. :thumbsup:
-MM-

VOL1266-X said:
Well Fred Sanford, you really dug the junk but got a nice SL half in the bargain. Congrats on your first. ANY SL half you can read the date on is a good strike. Most of the few I have dug CW relic hunting are like you in high school-DATELESS. WTG and HH, Quindy.

Thanks Buddy. :icon_thumleft:
As far as high school, I had plenty of dates. Prunes, figs, and raisins too. Actually I kept plenty of spare paper bags in my car back in high school. Just like this large silver coin today, you just never know what you'll end up with. :tongue3: :laughing9: :occasion14:
-Fred Miner-

Attachments

• paper-bag.jpg
    paper-bag.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,896

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ModernMiner said:
It was in the 30's here in my area of NC this afternoon, but I had to get out. I only had a few hours to detect so I hit a place close to home that I just gained permission to a few weeks ago. It was built in the 1800's and has many acres of soybean fields behind it and across the street. My first trip here yielded an ornate silver pocketwatch cover and a 1940 Merc. Today was my second time here and after digging up some coins (modern & one wheat) and a few relics in the yard, I took to the back field. Digging a few pieces of crappe' (trash) out in the field and freezing my backside off :o I set my discrimination way up to weed out the junk. I started to work my way back towards the house and got a good signal. Here's the results of that wonderful signal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLTK5e56uW4

It turned out to be a 1945 Standing Liberty half. :hello2: Not really old or rare, but it is my first large silver after all these years of detecting. :icon_thumleft: I love detecting in large fields and finding something decent out in the middle of nowhere. It's a great feeling. :love4:

Any idea what the latch looking thing is? It says "O.T. Co. - Pat. 1898 , 1903, 1914."
SOLVED:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=371456.msg2637271#msg2637271

Thanks for looking,
Frozen Miner ;D
:icon_thumright: Congrats on your first big silver. i havent even found one yet...grounds to hard though to dig now i went today and found over 2 buccks in clad.HH

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teleman 2525 said:
hot find for a cold day

Thanks Tele. :thumbsup:

CMDiamonddawg said:
Congrats MM , on those finds and especially the first big ol Walker silver , cool video , and wear some long johns out in the field . The forests are warmer on the feet , that's where you will find me ...it's deep woods time up here , and Sunday is the only day you won't get shot ::) . Have a great end to 2010 and the Best New Year :headbang: :thumbsup: dawg

Thanks Dawg. :icon_thumleft:
I know what you mean about the woods during hunting season. Scares the cr-p out of me. Come Jan. 1st deer season is over here so I can take to the woods again. :hello2: You guys have got to be freezing up your way. :( I'll be up in northern NJ at the end of January for a week long seminar. Probably too cold to bring the detector. :dontknow:
Stay warm and Happy Holidays! I wish you all the best in 2011. :occasion14:
-Doug-

rebeljim52

Sep 20, 2009
Silverstreet SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000 and used XLT E
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great half.Going to try hunt NC next week If i have time going to see grandkids.

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:occasion14: Congrats on your first Big Silver MM....
HH Soup

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davehky said:
[
Congrats on your first big silver. i havent even found one yet...grounds to hard though to dig now i went today and found over 2 bucks in clad.HH

Thanks Dave.
I usually only find silver dimes. Even quarters have been tough, so I wasn't expecting this beautiful lady to appear. ;D
Keep at it. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-

rebeljim52 said:
Great half.Going to try hunt NC next week If i have time going to see grandkids.

Thanks Jim.
Where in NC are you headed?
-MM-

SoupSpikedtheEggNog said:
:occasion14: Congrats on your first Big Silver MM....
HH Soup

Thanks Soup.
Hopefully there will be more goodies out in those beans. :tongue3:
-MM-

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Good Job on your 1st large silver! I got a feeling you'll be back there for more, good luck. :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
atta boy MM.. keep showin us the good stuff :headbang: :headbang:

Thanks Jeff. :hello:
I think the good stuff is at yours and Josh's places. ;D
Merry Christmas and have a great 2011. :occasion18:
-Doug-

TommNJ said:
Good Job on your 1st large silver! I got a feeling you'll be back there for more, good luck. :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

Tomm,
You got that right buddy. :icon_thumleft: Tough to detect in all that soybean stuble, but I guess it's worth the effort. :headbang:
My wife keeps asking me, "Did you find gold yet", so I guess I better step it up a bit. :dontknow:
-Doug-

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Doug,
That is very cool. I am surprised that is your first Walker. WTG. I never get tired of digging those. Such a big hunk of silver. ;D
I found one in the spring. Right in the middle of a big field. Those things show up anywhere.

You getting a bit cold? No sympathy here. It's been mostly in the teens here. Got up in the twenties today. Felt a bit warmer. ::)

Take care and have a great Christmas.

Bob

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Congrats on your first big silver. I am sure there is more silver around that spot. The latch looks like it came off a window frame. 1945 is the 100th anniversary off Vol's birth year. ;D
Good luck finding more good stuff.
Dman
Dman
Dman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread