SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried that a couple weeks ago, the post stayed up for over 3 hours AFTER reporting. That was the ad to put the "lead" back in one's "pencil."

Figured adding my 2 cents worth would attract attention. It did, spam gone.

Over 3 hours? :icon_scratch: ROFLMBO, we are not sitting by watching the "Post Reports" board waiting for a post to pop up.... There are times when I can get on durring the day and times I can't and I am sure it is the same with others.

Durring the day when I can get on it is via my smart phone, but I do work full time, have a beautiful wife who needs my time, 2 parrots who also need my time, and a sweet new Miata that sits in the driveway just waiting for me to come home, put the top down and take it out for a topless spin....:laughing7:

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Over 3 hours? :icon_scratch: ROFLMBO, we are not sitting by watching the "Post Reports" board waiting for a post to pop up.... There are times when I can get on durring the day and times I can't and I am sure it is the same with others.

Durring the day when I can get on it is via my smart phone, but I do work full time, have a beautiful wife who needs my time, 2 parrots who also need my time, and a sweet new Miata that sits in the driveway just waiting for me to come home, put the top down and take it out for a topless spin....:laughing7:

That's great, but the point of my post wasn't REPAIR. It was PREVENTION. The difference between the two ideas is vast.

There is a company (can't recall the name) that has a bot they guarantee can flood a forum. It works.

It can't beat Nucaptcha. I built a similar program for my sites that have COMPLETELY stopped bots spamming my "Contact Us" forms.

Here is a bit of info about Nucaptcha:

I know that it works because I've seen it flat stop spam on a friend's forum. It takes a human to solve the captcha, a bot cannot do it yet.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great, but the point of my post wasn't REPAIR. It was PREVENTION. The difference between the two ideas is vast.

There is a company (can't recall the name) that has a bot they guarantee can flood a forum. It works.

It can't beat Nucaptcha. I built a similar program for my sites that have COMPLETELY stopped bots spamming my "Contact Us" forms.

Here is a bit of info about Nucaptcha:

Is this Spam ? ???

:tongue3:

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chadeaux, thatwas an interesting video and I ha no idea what nucaptcha was before looking at the video. Yup, too lazy to google it too :tongue3:

With that being said, how long will it take some programmer to outwit that too :laughing7: Everything man makes at some point will be defeated and it's a never ending cycle.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Is this Spam ? ???

:tongue3:

Well thanks for the insult. No, it is professional courtesy. Two mods here now know there is a WORKING SOLUTION to the spam problem. Maybe someone will actually mention it to the boss.

Perhaps we should keep doing what doesn't work and expecting different results?

I thought mentioning my buddy would get certain ones to join in. Well nothing to see here, keep moving.

@diggumup: Not exactly. I don't profit in any way, but you don't get to look at the ads to help you grow your pee pee on the forum.

Chadeaux, thatwas an interesting video and I ha no idea what nucaptcha was before looking at the video. Yup, too lazy to google it too :tongue3:

With that being said, how long will it take some programmer to outwit that too :laughing7: Everything man makes at some point will be defeated and it's a never ending cycle.

The idea is that someone has been proactive. They have attacked the problem in a way that works --- but they haven't stopped there.

The problem for bots is that the copy is constantly moving against a graphic. The string can be 3 or more letters and/or numbers long. The captcha changes with every attempt so brute force won't work either.

With standard captcha, nothing moves. I have "captured" over 100 captchas on my computer, ran them through my OCR software, and about 50% were solved correctly down to the letter case.

A bot takes a "snapshot". When it does, the actual captcha may not even be on the screen with Nucaptcha.

I took a cue from the program, and created a single flash file with 4 moving numbers that never change. That was about a year ago. I have gone from about a dozen "Contact Us" forms from spammers every day to zero in the last 6 months. I gave the file to a friend who does website design, he is having the same result for about 6 months now. We're talking about commercial sites not getting their inboxes flooded with spam from their own web sites.

Here is the file in use on one of my friend's sites: Contact Us (scroll to the bottom of the form and look for the punkins)

If it works with a captcha that never changes, should be much better if it does.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And what is the program going to do for the dozens of spammers thay join daily that are not bots.There were spammers on TN before it was ever sold, I use to report them to the mods

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
:stickynote: note to self...

No sense of humor when dealing with Chadeaux :unhappysmiley:

Have a good sense of humor, but also am privy to some PM's my bud received before he left.

And what is the program going to do for the dozens of spammers thay join daily that are not bots.There were spammers on TN before it was ever sold, I use to report them to the mods

I always thought of it this way: Would I rather chase down 20 problems or 2 problems? Sothink went from over 100 spam posts every day to about 20 per week.

I would have thought that anything that makes a job easier and allows one to concentrate on the more important things might interest folks. On the other hand, if chasing down spammers and deleting them makes your day . . . :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread