Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone,

Went on a short hunt on the Saturday at one of my old spots. Didn't have much luck and have almost given up as I could hear the thunderstorm approaching. Decided to stay until the next decent signal. Within a few minutes got good one, very deep but I couldn't find the item as the ground was saturated with water. Had about 20 mosquitoes sitting on me and as if it wasn't enough the battery in my Carrot died just when I finally started getting closer to the target. I almost gave up as the sky was getting darker every minute. Finally, changed the battery and managed to pull the target out of the ground. At first thought it was a broken button as I wasn't expecting to find any coins that day, but within seconds realized I was holding a Spanish cob! Oh man! Finally, after a dozen Spanish Reales I managed to find my very first cob. Super happy with this find.

It seems to be a 2 Reales cob from (17??) possibly Philip V (1700-1746) An unusual thing that I have noticed is the ''Y'' in ET YNDIARUM REX on the top right of the ''2'' As I would expect to see the ''I'' as in INDIARUM Maybe it might help ID the coin.

A great little hunt!

Thanks for the comments.

20170624_141655.jpg

DSC_15242abc.jpg

20170624_151249.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 52

chefjuan

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet cob!! Very well done. Way to stick with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an awesome cob recovery. :notworthy: Finding a cob is hard. Finding a 2R cob is even harder. An unclipped cob - even harder to do. I know a guy who recovered a 2R cob down my a while back and it was extensively clipped - down to the size of a 1R. Perhaps you could post up a view of the coin's edge? I wonder if the missing details on the coin resulted from an uneven flan/planchet. It looks like it had a nice hard strike and coin details do not wear unevenly. Again - a big congrats to you!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Damn that's one of the nicer looking cobs I've seen. My 1664 is not exactly a looker lol. That's a great one to check off the list my friend. I'd love to put that baby in my collection. They are really difficult to find

Thanks Abe. It's a great coin, really happy with it. Your cob looks great as well and and don't forget what you found on a same hunt :laughing7:

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man your heart must of been pumping when you realized what you just dug out
Of the ground.
She's a real Peruvian beauty.
Congrats

Thanks Tony. I agree, a real beauty.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:occasion14: I still want a cob, after getting 2 Spanish last year (1st & 2nd), 1 too late & 1 too early! lol

Well I'm sure sir Francis Drake must have dropped some in your area.But for now you'll have to content yourself with Roman silver coins ;-)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks so much better cleaned up! Tough one to knock off the list.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Aureus,
The assayer's initial (assuming it is from Peru) may be the same as the one I showed; then again--if it is an 'M', you have a much more valuable coin. Either way, determining the assayer's initial will considerably close the year range for the minting of your coin.
Where there was one coin, there may be more.
HH,
Don......

Thank you very much for the info. I don't believe there's a way of improving the visibility of the mark because of the polishing on the both sides.

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome coin! Congratulations!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Geez that's one great looking silver, love the way it looks right of the soil. Great coin to strike off the bucket list for sure, congrats!

Thank you.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on an awesome cob recovery. :notworthy: Finding a cob is hard. Finding a 2R cob is even harder. An unclipped cob - even harder to do. I know a guy who recovered a 2R cob down my a while back and it was extensively clipped - down to the size of a 1R. Perhaps you could post up a view of the coin's edge? I wonder if the missing details on the coin resulted from an uneven flan/planchet. It looks like it had a nice hard strike and coin details do not wear unevenly. Again - a big congrats to you!

Thank you. It's my first cob and i'm super happy it came out of the ground this way. It's true that most of the cobs I have seen undug are either clipped or worn off pretty bad or both. Here's a pic. Hope it will help.

DSC_1557.JPG

DSC_1553.JPG

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That is a super special coin. I've been reading about Spanish colonial coins and it is rare that it has not been clipped. Never understood the important development of the edge pattern in coins past the hammered era in deterring clipping (stealing a little bit of silver) until recently. Awesome piece of history you have there! Congrats!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic cob Aureus :occasion14: Really like that dirty picture right from the ground. ha I've got a couple pistareens from the cob era, but never a cob... one day hopefully.

Thank you
One day for sure! I wasn't expecting to find mine honestly as we mostly get ''regular'' Real coins in my area.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. It's my first cob and i'm super happy it came out of the ground this way. It's true that most of the cobs I have seen undug are either clipped or worn off pretty bad or both. Here's a pic. Hope it will help.

View attachment 1466410

View attachment 1466411

Alize that's your first cob. I figured you've found plenty. What a first! That's like having your first girlfriend be a super model. Lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread