Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got for the first time since it started to get hot last Spring. I met a man last weekend at the hardware store who turned out to be the land manager for a few old properties in my county and he granted me permission to relic hunt on them. Since most of his properties are still in bean I decided to walk a 300 acre property that he is currently clearing. None of the old maps I have show any home sites on this property even the Civil War map I have shows this property as woods. On top of that, rather than using the slash and burn land clearing method, they are mulching the land so the ground is basically covered with mulch which makes it impossible to search for brick, glass or pottery which are indicators of house sites. My plan was to walk around the high spots and kick the mulch around looking for the indicators. I was doing this for a couple of hours when I noticed a cleared area without any mulch so I figured that would be my last spot I checked and I'm glad I did. I immediately found a pipe bowl on top of the ground then I found a pipe stem:

Sept 2013 Finds-1.jpg

Then I walked around picking up pottery and glass pieces:

Sept 2013 Finds-6.jpg

I turned on the detector and my first find was a Spanish Cob:

Sept 2013 Finds-7.jpg Sept 2013 Finds-8.jpg

Then I found a couple buckle frags, a flat button, a musket ball and a round mount:

Sept 2013 Finds-2.jpg Sept 2013 Finds-4.jpg

There's absolutely no rhyme or reason to the site. It's surrounded by a numerous high knolls and is not close to any water source (that I could see). There's a reasonable amount of iron but the brick fragments are few and far between. I'm going to head back out there this afternoon and poke around a little more.

Thanks for looking!
Joey

Upvote 8

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt!!! Congrats! Happy hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice relics. Good Job

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good, I think lemon juice will help that cob shed its green.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Very good, I think lemon juice will help that cob shed its green.

I've tried lemon juice on a Spanish real before but it dulled the look of it. Whats your lemon juice method.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried lemon juice on a Spanish real before but it dulled the look of it. Whats your lemon juice method.

Put it in pure lemon juice for 2 minutes at a time & rinse with water after every dip. If the silver content is not debased.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still looking for my first cob. I'm green with envy. :happysmiley::happysmiley:. Congrats. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still looking for my first cob. I'm green with envy. :happysmiley::happysmiley:. Congrats. :thumbsup:

I've been lucky to find quite a few.....and I mean lucky! I found two a couple of years ago within a few yards of each other at a site that I stumbled upon similar to this one. The funny thing is that I didn't find much else at these sites. Every time I find one I always say I'll never find another, lol.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great hunt Joey! It's nice when things work out the way they did for you. But I agree with you that it doesn't seem like the likely place for a home site. Maybe it was part of an early camp? And you're getting to be a real cob magnet. You've found quite a few in the short time I've known you. And by the way, I found a large cob about 4 years ago that had similar green crud on it. I just did my usual light electrolysis on it, checking it every minute or so. And it came out great. After 2-3 years it started to build up some of that same corrosion so I cleaned it again and applied some Renaissance wax and its quite stable now.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Joey! That one signal can really make your day.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice cob Joey. Thats one thing I miss about Virginia, the spanish silver. Electrolysis ought to clean it up nicely.
-Evan

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet Cob man:headbang:

Nice little variety there..

You should consider the big coil now Joey..

Blaze

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread