Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last two day I was hunting the harvested bean fields. Friday I hit a field I hit last yr, wanted to go back because it was corn last year, didn't get a lot, but didn't expect much since I already hunted it pretty hard before. Found a thimble, the decorative leaf piece, lipstick tube, a button, a busted crotal bell and lastly a 1941 merc. The indian came from the day before at a farm house.

Saturday I hit a virgin "to me" bean field. First coin of the day was within 30 min of being there and it was the ONLY coin the entire day, and I hunted from 830am to 130pm. BUT I am not complaining, it was a real nice 1855 half dime!!!! It is only my second half dime in 6 yrs, these lil guys don't show up much around here. I guess I did find another coin kinda....it was one of those Chinese coins, it was broke in 3 pieces, part was on top the ground, the other 2 pieces were bout 2" deep, had to stick in in a coin flip to hold it together, I know nothing about them, no idea how old it is?

This field had very little targets for being virgin, I found the large brass front door piece, thought that was really cool. My buddy got 3 indians, one was a 1869, of course that is one I need to complete my dug set.....hahahaha.

DSC00628.jpg

frontdoor.jpg

DSC00632.jpg

halfdimeindirt.jpg

DSC00626.jpg

Upvote 12

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome recoveries G4E.
Congrats on that beautiful half dime. Those suckers are tiny. No wonder they got lost.
Your right, that old door piece is a way cool find. :thumbsup:
What it that piece in the upper right of the first photo? Tie tack?
Nice post,
MM

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow,beautiful finds! That little indian cent is such a pretty color.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice SL Half dime also nice Mercury & Indian cent ,the other items are keepers as well; You have actually dug every example of Indian cent minted Except the 1869 a tuff date to dig ,as you know not the tuffest tho , If so how long did it take? I'm pretty sure me & others would admire that accomplishment . Good day.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice SL Half dime also nice Mercury & Indian cent ,the other items are keepers as well; You have actually dug every example of Indian cent minted Except the 1869 a tuff date to dig ,as you know not the tuffest tho , If so how long did it take? I'm pretty sure me & others would admire that accomplishment . Good day.
No I need 6 to complete a dug set, I re-read what I posted and see how it sounds like the 1869 was the ONLY one I needed to complete the dug set. I have been detecting for 6 yrs have dug over 550 indians and still need 1869..1871..1872..1877..1908s..and 1909s and I will have a complete dug set. I think the 1877 and 1909s will be near impossible, but who knows? I never dreamed I would dig a 1916D merc either!!

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw I I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some really great finds. Sorry your bell was broken :( did you research these fields and knew they had a history or did you just hit them ? How did you have such good luck ? Thanks for sharing !

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs, G4E! I love the half dime but I'm with testing123.....very cool that it has the die crack so evident on the back. HH

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some really great finds. Sorry your bell was broken :( did you research these fields and knew they had a history or did you just hit them ? How did you have such good luck ? Thanks for sharing !
Luck? it is not luck, finding oldies is because of research. I spend about the same time researching old maps, overlaying maps, finding owners, contacting them and getting permission as I do spend time actually detecting.

Any field I hunt either has a homesite on it, or a 1 room school house or church.........all info you can get by researching old maps, they are hundreds of sites like this in my county alone.

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw I I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Luck? it is not luck, finding oldies is because of research. I spend about the same time researching old maps, overlaying maps, finding owners, contacting them and getting permission as I do spend time actually detecting.

Any field I hunt either has a homesite on it, or a 1 room school house or church.........all info you can get by researching old maps, they are hundreds of sites like this in my county alone.

Ok, thanks. I research also but have not tried old maps. I have fields ( in corn now ) that I can hunt when the time is right but I don't know what sat in those fields 100 years ago yet. I'll do more looking.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, thanks. I research also but have not tried old maps. I have fields ( in corn now ) that I can hunt when the time is right but I don't know what sat in those fields 100 years ago yet. I'll do more looking.
if your in Indiana, trust me there are homesites tore down all over in the country............try Historic Map Works, Residential Genealogy ? they have OLD maps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread