Spanish Cob?

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this in a farm field today. At first I thought it was trash but after cleaning it I saw what looked like a cross, and the overall shape/design made me think Spanish cob but I wasn't aware they could be this small. Can anyone confirm if that's actually what this is. Thanks

uploadfromtaptalk1453155087310.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1453155101950.jpg

Upvote 24

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome little cob. I often wonder how many of those type finds get tossed. I'm sure it's fairly common....sadly

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome little cob. I often wonder how many of those type finds get tossed. I'm sure it's fairly common....sadly
mine looks large in my pic but is about size of his - don't know about his but mine was about 6 inches down and was real faint - pun intended
it was in a muddy colonial farm field and I was lucky I had a pin pointer with me cause it was very tarnished - I think there may be bunch out there -
but if deep or if your swinging to fast - your gonna miss'em...I found in a field that has been peppered since early 80s...Ive been getting a fair amount
of small silver coinage over last few years at hammered spots - guys got to slow down to get them
back to the coin at hand - like I said I was told these were know as a"bit" - wonder if that has something to do with term = "I'll have a little bit"

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
View attachment 1262278 heres mine - they called these a "bit" ..you could supposedly get a mug of grog or ale with one
WTG on yours :icon_thumleft:

I always thought the "bit" term came from a cut 8 reales,, piece of eight ,,, bit equal to a reale, then a half reale would be a half- bit

I know some people still refer to a quarter (dollar) to two bits, a quarter of a Spanish dollar would have been two reales, that my math

OP
OP
joe_dirt

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the comments and great info. [emoji106]

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you suck, that's on my wish list, you get one & don't even know what it is....lol Throw it back for me.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure a lot of people miss cobs. Mine was a small cent signal at 3" I considered not digging. Also the misidentification thing is scary - I wonder how many I threw away?!?! Yikes. Ok back to the crap pile for me! Lol

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I could get my coil over one of those. Congrats on breaking into the 1600s with such a great find!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Find! I know how you feel as I was shocked when I 1st dug mine. Find of a lifetime.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really - any small cut piece would be considered a bit - in my book
I always thought the "bit" term came from a cut 8 reales,, piece of eight ,,, bit equal to a reale, then a half reale would be a half- bit

I know some people still refer to a quarter (dollar) to two bits, a quarter of a Spanish dollar would have been two reales, that my math

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome thinking how long that has been in the ground sweet find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread