Spanish Cobs

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought this item at a thrift store today knowing it may not be real. But, I'll post it in the hopes that my wager was worthwhile. This is a brooch that appears to have been made from Spanish cobs. Two coins appear to be milled pillar type coins and are dated 1736 and possibly 1738. One of these bears the letters "ISPAN". The other two coins have crosses on one side and shields on the obverse. One of these has a date which reads 1762. Overall, these cobs are in pretty rough shape. Holes drilled in three of them, all seem to have been clipped, pretty worn.. So, the usual questions...

1. Are they real (AKA have I found my first Spanish treasure)?
2. What coins are they?
3. What if any value do they have?

I would love to hear the opinions of the experts here.

Attachments

• cob2.jpg
    cob2.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 550
  • cob3.jpg
    cob3.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 546
  • cob5.jpg
    cob5.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 538
OP
OP
ipsilateral

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I would love to have more info if others don't write back.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That third one looks like Potosi mint and with (if) a "Y" to the left of the date would signify the assayer as being Raimundo de Yurriaga (1760-1770). The coin should be almost 92% silver. That coin would weigh no more than about 6.7 grams. The smaller coins may be 1 reale coins weighing 1/2 that of the two reales.

Clipping would be natural; the mints way of reducing the weight of the coin down to the required weight. Of course, coins were also clipped away from the mint; the clippings being saved and later redeemed based on their weight.

You may wish to click onto the Sedwick banner at the top of this page for more info on these 'cob' coins.
Don.......

OP
OP
ipsilateral

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. You certainly know your stuff. Any ballpark for value on a weird item like this, given that it's been drilled and welded up? Thanks again!

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
I would say that would probably sell for $75 - $100 on Ebay, so you did good for a $20 investment....

Stan

dagfoto

Oct 9, 2009
most of these are made from real (pun) reales...

found in the markets in central america

Attachments

• gt1.JPG
    gt1.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 379
  • gt2.JPG
    gt2.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 381

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread