Spanish Fort On Boragass Creek.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 1,193

Shootem up Tex

Greenie
Apr 17, 2010
Keller, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Your site is located in Sabine National forest. Translate that to say BUMMER!!! The Code of Federal Regulations is pretty strict about distubing excavating or removing any artifact from national forests. The CFR is Title 39. and they (the feds) are very anal about digging in National Forests. I got a laundry list of sites I would die to swing at; but alas, the regs are there. Sorry Brother.

OP
OP
easttexasdigger

easttexasdigger

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
I am still wanting to have this map dowsed for the fort site. Any help is appreciated.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
If you place Google Earth in terrain mode and pan down to ground level, you will quickly discover that the spot you have marked is in a low flood plain of the creek. However, there is a location just to the southwest of that spot that is of much higher elevation that would provide excellent coverage of the creek coming up from the south and to where it branches off to the northwest. Keep in mind, that I set the vertical exageration on the Google Earth Terrain to a setting of 1 to provide better contrast in heights.

Here is the spot I marked.
31.483678°, -93.905225°

On the image below, your original mark is on the right and my mark is on the left. From the colonial Spanish forts and stockades in my area, I can tell you that they NEVER placed a fortification of any sort in low areas relative to the surrounding terrain.

sabinefort.jpg

Also, are you certain that the fort was on the western side of the creek? The reason I ask is because there is even higher terrain on the eastern side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread