Spanish Silver!! First Identifiable Old Coin This Year!!!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I decided to go to my favorite cellar hole, which is almost completely hunted out by me now, but only 5 minutes away from my home. I already metal detected my front yard for an hour, and found nothing. Yesterday I metal detected the sidewalk strip in front of my house and found a 1920 Buffalo Nickel. Today at the cellar hole I was determined to find an old coin, I hadn't found a single identifiable coin this year. In August I found a completely blank and chewed up paper thin 1 Real sized coin, and a folded up, blank farthing sized copper in the same hunt. Today I was metal detecting in areas I never wanted to try when the woods were overgrown. I tried in huge bushes that now didn't have leaves, or between a bunch of tiny pine trees. I was able to find 2 buttons do this, and then nothing for half an hour. Then I went to the woods behind the cellar hole, where I haven't tried to metal detect much recently. I got a deep sounding, but very clear low 80s on my metal detector. I dug a deep hole, then checked it and the dirt on the side with the metal detector. I then removed all the loose dirt in the bottom of the hole in case the item was there. I was happy to hear a loud 80 signal in the dirt that I removed, and pulled out a beautiful (to me at least) half real. It may be a little rough, but I was thrilled to finally find a good coin this year. I still haven't found any coppers this year, but I will certainly take Spanish silver! It may have also gotten a few tiny hairline scratches from the dirt and tiny rust pieces that fell of some nails I found and removed from my pocket before putting the coin in. The front also has a large scuff on the bust from the shovel or pinpointer.

It looks to have a date of 1781, and a Mexico City mint mark!
DSC_0880.JPG DSC_0882.JPG DSC_0852.JPG DSC_0885.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 28

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the Spanish Silver sir.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go pal! That’s always a welcome site. Congrats

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be absolutely thrilled with such a find. Big Congrats on the outstanding coin, and your perseverance!!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice save! :occasion14:

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find. Sweet silver! [emoji2][emoji106]

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have got to be kidding me. I cant believe the old coins you find there amazing.Ive always wanted to live in one of those huge castles in England. I would search for the Kings hoard. Awesome finds my friend. Thanks for always posting em I love it.I would have to invest in some diapers if I found coins like those lol

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!! 1700’s Spanish silver! Congrats and HH

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys! I was thrilled to finally find another half real, my first since 2015! I hope to eventually find another one!

This is my only other half real, found in 2015.
1779real.png

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love Spanish silver. :thumbsup:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ever find a coin really old you would sell a junker dosent matter pm me I have a display case I'm trying to fill with old history I have some great finds but being my town was founded in 1826 I don't see ever finding anything that old. I love stuff like that Tommy

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A little rough" is what gives character to old colonial coins. Great motivational post. No surrender. If you can't be lucky - be determined! :headbang:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha! Nice digs. I fully understand about identifiable coins. I have a pot full of large copper blanks

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WTG on digging up the old silver. Being determined wins the day sometimes! Congrats

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is spectacular! Congratulations on a super great find! I think all Spanish silvers are banner worthy yet it surprises me each time I read a new post of yet another Spanish silver find! Way to go!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is an awesome 1/2 real! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: The are SO cool, no matter what condition they're in. I'm still looking for a colonial spanish silver... #1 thing I want to find right now!!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big congrats! That's a nice half Reale. I've seen many with much less detail, nice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread