Spanish Silver!! First Identifiable Old Coin This Year!!!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I decided to go to my favorite cellar hole, which is almost completely hunted out by me now, but only 5 minutes away from my home. I already metal detected my front yard for an hour, and found nothing. Yesterday I metal detected the sidewalk strip in front of my house and found a 1920 Buffalo Nickel. Today at the cellar hole I was determined to find an old coin, I hadn't found a single identifiable coin this year. In August I found a completely blank and chewed up paper thin 1 Real sized coin, and a folded up, blank farthing sized copper in the same hunt. Today I was metal detecting in areas I never wanted to try when the woods were overgrown. I tried in huge bushes that now didn't have leaves, or between a bunch of tiny pine trees. I was able to find 2 buttons do this, and then nothing for half an hour. Then I went to the woods behind the cellar hole, where I haven't tried to metal detect much recently. I got a deep sounding, but very clear low 80s on my metal detector. I dug a deep hole, then checked it and the dirt on the side with the metal detector. I then removed all the loose dirt in the bottom of the hole in case the item was there. I was happy to hear a loud 80 signal in the dirt that I removed, and pulled out a beautiful (to me at least) half real. It may be a little rough, but I was thrilled to finally find a good coin this year. I still haven't found any coppers this year, but I will certainly take Spanish silver! It may have also gotten a few tiny hairline scratches from the dirt and tiny rust pieces that fell of some nails I found and removed from my pocket before putting the coin in. The front also has a large scuff on the bust from the shovel or pinpointer.

It looks to have a date of 1781, and a Mexico City mint mark!
DSC_0880.JPG DSC_0882.JPG DSC_0852.JPG DSC_0885.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 28
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an awesome 1/2 real! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: The are SO cool, no matter what condition they're in. I'm still looking for a colonial spanish silver... #1 thing I want to find right now!!

Thanks! I agree, no matter how worn or scratched they are, they always look awesome when dug. Almost like real pirate coins. Good luck! With some of the awesome things you have found, like the coins and relics in your signature, you are definitely close to finding one soon!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work, congrats!