Spear tip or knife blade?

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Hey Folks ,

I found this one a couple years ago. Laying in the dirt it looked like a spear point for sure. When I picked it up there was something that made me wonder if it was a knife instead. It is unifaced like some blades. Has a bit of a curve to it too. To look at it in the First pic you would say spear tip. To look at the other side and the side veiw you would think knife blade. What do you think?

Happy Huntin' ,Bent-Twig.

Attachments

• Picture 1300.jpg
    Picture 1300.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 474
  • Picture 1301.jpg
    Picture 1301.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 466
  • Picture 1302.jpg
    Picture 1302.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 478
Upvote 0
A

archaeon

i would definitely call that a knife instead of projectile, nice one!

P

pickaway

Great find, and that is some nice material do you know the type?

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Pick,

Great question, maybe someone on here will recognize this material. I sure dont know what it is. It is the only relic I have found made of it. I have not seen material that is close to the same . Lots'a different colors popping out of it. Maybe something off the Ridge?

Happy Huntin' , Bent-Twig.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, it looks like a knife to me as well. As for material, it could be Boyle Chert. Does it have little tiny fossil inclusions in it? Boyle Chert usually has those in it.

A

archaeon

the flaking does look fresh, there is a definite patina change on the flaking in the second pic.

archaeon said:
the flaking does look fresh, there is a definite patina change on the flaking in the second pic.
A lot of times, older artifacts were picked up by later people and rechipped as to their specifications. A friend of mine found what had once been a clovis point but rechipped into a harahey blade out in Winkler, County. You could definately see the change in patina on that blade as well.
One just has to wonder what that thing was before it was a stemmed blade. Nice find.

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Hey ,

No retouching on this. What you see is the way it came out of the dirt. Flat side would seem to have been one of the original sides of the block. Possibly the block had been heat treated and this would cause the difference. I have other artifacts that are this way also. All my pieces are personal field finds nothing bought .I do some very ameture restorations on some of my pieces , but I will always post if a piece has some clay on it .Not trying to fool around on here like some of the posts I have seen lately. Forum should be for authentic relics, and if not should be clearly stated. Some of the crap that has been posted here as of late will now bring good authentic relics into question.

Twig.

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Hey ,

I wanted to post some of the other relics I have w/change in patina on them. Unlike some of the posters here I will try and back up my claims , instead of just pushing a crazy idea on knowledgable people. I feel that what you see in the patina change isthe difference between the original unworked block to the worked edge. Most cherts were heat treated thus causing a change in color(patination). The heat treating would cause the chert to work(knap) better. Most points that are found are worked from top to bottom. On a unifaced point sometimes the flat side is from the original block after heat treating and does not get worked , thus creating the change in patina. I may be way off on this , but this is the way I have come to understand it. I have posted some photos of obvious change and more suttle change. All artifacts are personal finds from Huron, Oh.

Happy Huntin' , Bent-Twig.

Attachments

• Picture 1530.jpg
    Picture 1530.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 287
  • Picture 1532.jpg
    Picture 1532.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 299
  • Picture 1531.jpg
    Picture 1531.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 284
  • Picture 1527.jpg
    Picture 1527.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 295
  • Picture 1521.jpg
    Picture 1521.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 300
  • Picture 1519.jpg
    Picture 1519.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 300
  • Picture 1516.jpg
    Picture 1516.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 304
  • Picture 1514.jpg
    Picture 1514.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 301
  • Picture 1512.jpg
    Picture 1512.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 303
OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Hey,

Something else that I find interesting is the types of patina that are found. Some are big built up deposits,some are rust colored stains,some change the flint itself. I have a piece here I want to show you of a broken point. To lookat it in the first picture you would say it was a crude black broken point.The second picture shows that it was actually at one time a pink point. Kind of a neat piece. If I had found it complete I would have never known it was once pink.

Happy Huntin, Bent-Twig.

Attachments

• Picture 1537.jpg
    Picture 1537.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 279
  • Picture 1534.jpg
    Picture 1534.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 277
A

archaeon

sweet points!
i should't have used the term "fresh"...i should have just said "patina change"...didn't mean to imply your stuff was reworked...

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Jonnyreb said:
THEBES!!!! ::) Show us some more!! :thumbsup:
Jonny,

I have only found 3 thebes points and you are seeing the two that are worth looking at , but since you made the request, here is the other one.

Attachments

• Picture 1539.jpg
    Picture 1539.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 279
OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
archaeon said:
sweet points!
i should't have used the term "fresh"...i should have just said "patina change"...didn't mean to imply your stuff was reworked...
archaeon,

Hey no problem here, I just like to try and explain my thoughts cause I am surely not as studied in this stuff as alot of folks on here. I have alot of ideas on things that are my thoughts alone and surely not the gospel. Unlike our buddy(KD) I wont try and push my ideas, just throwing them out there and tryin to back them up w/some pictures.

Happy Huntin , Bent-Twig.

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
DorkFish said:
I agree, it looks like a knife to me as well. As for material, it could be Boyle Chert. Does it have little tiny fossil inclusions in it? Boyle Chert usually has those in it.
Dorkfish,

I dont see any fossil inclusions. How tiny would they be?

Twig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread