Specimen in highly mineralized ground

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Magalia, Nor Calif. formaly Vic. Australia
Detector(s) used
A2b groundhog/ whites GM3/ Vsat, and TDI.
13hp 5" jawcrusher, Dryblower, recirc. HB.
F md-20............ Goldbug Pro / 5"and 10" coils
Whites TDI several coils............... My own dowsing tools

Primary Interest:
Other
Recently I was using my old whites Vsat GM3 downslope from an outcropping, high in the mtns of Northern Calif. It was a terrible place to hunt No trash but hot ground all over. Then I hit on a solid sound . as if it were a 30.06 cartridge case.A solid and clear signal.
I soon had it out of the ground, about 4 " down max. It was a lumpy , heavy stone... or whatever. Too much dirt on it so , taking a walk to the truck and some water in a pan, brush a little , softly... and there shone gold.
I will attach some images.
The specimen is 2" x2" x 2" and weighs 55 gram. A quartz matrix and iron staining , . It is a crystaline , lacey specimen. I thought of nitric , to melt away the rocky quartze etc. But, who knows of its make-up.

Anyway, some of my mates thrashed the area with various machines, VLF and Pulse but found no more. All were challenged by the iron ground.

I am needing some ideas.... How would the XP Deus handle this contrary ironstone ground? . I have heard that it is a great machine.
Anyone with info on the XP wireless Deus and this kind of situation please comment or contact.. Thank you all, Brian
1.jpg 209.jpg 209a.jpg 210.jpg ]

Attachments

• 213.jpg
    213.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A beautiful specimen for sure. Congrats!

I am actually surprised that it gave a bang like a 30 cal shell casing. It must have quite a bit of gold or other conductive metal within. I agree with the above not to mess with it too much, because it is beautiful as-is. Perhaps a mild solution like coke or vinegar to remove some of the staining, but I personally would not go overboard with anything harsh.

A couple of maybe useless thoughts, but I will state them anyway. If you have a bunch of guys detecting in the same small area, there might be interference from another detector working on a close frequency (ie. it might not just be hot rocks that are causing you chatter). If you have narrowed down the spot to where you have found gold, a sometimes slow but workable process is to set your detector with the coil off the ground and run samples over the coil by hand.

OP
OP
Brivic1

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Magalia, Nor Calif. formaly Vic. Australia
Detector(s) used
A2b groundhog/ whites GM3/ Vsat, and TDI.
13hp 5" jawcrusher, Dryblower, recirc. HB.
F md-20............ Goldbug Pro / 5"and 10" coils
Whites TDI several coils............... My own dowsing tools

Primary Interest:
Other
Two summers gone by now... and have hunted only about 8 hours in two years at the site... terrible. It is a 3+ hour drive tho.. and at about 6500 feet, I have a bit of a breathing problem... yuk
I will be there again tho,,, before the snow flies, with a GoldbugPro................ good hunting to you all. friends,............

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two summers gone by now... and have hunted only about 8 hours in two years at the site... terrible. It is a 3+ hour drive tho.. and at about 6500 feet, I have a bit of a breathing problem... yuk
I will be there again tho,,, before the snow flies, with a GoldbugPro................ good hunting to you all. friends,............

Hopefully you marked both finds. Don't be surprized if the majority of the float gold runs in nearly a straight line down the hillside.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread