Spectacles with Lens from 1600s Site

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not sure the age of these spectacles since I question the possibility of them dating to the early 1600s like the site that they were located on. I found them about 10 steps in on the edge of my contact era fur trade Native American site in the finger lakes region. To my knowledge there is no colonial or later site nearby for at least 500 yards. I decided to turn on the Deus and start about 50 yards earlier rather than wait till I got to the top of the hill like usual. As I was digging my first signal I noticed some glass shards at about 5 inches and I figured "great more junk for me to pick up and work around". Soon I found an intact optical lens which I didn't realize at the time and at first thought that it was just a piece of odd glass with the corners mitered. I wonder if it is optical quartz not glass because there are no scratches. Then after moving some of the loose dirt I found the spectacles sitting in the hole just as if they were placed there. I took them out shocked and placed them back without cleaning for the in-situ. The root kept the digging tool from destroying them thankfully. What I wonder is the age and metal composition. They feel weighty for their size and read 36 to 50 on the Deus. I'm not 100% sure what they read in the ground because I dig every signal without paying attention but I vaguely remember them being in the 30's which to me says gold. For being in the ground there is no tarnish or flaking of plated metal of any type and there are no makers mark to speak of. Could that mean that they are just pretty early, possibly before the standards of stamping precious metals for the country of origin? The other typical for the site items I found were pottery shards, a nice late woodland point and and iron whatsit in addition to what I'm told is a ramrod guide for an early musket. If so I am surprised because that site is early for Native Americans to have firearms (so I read) but it does make me think that those 50 cal musket balls I found a couple weeks back are period to the site. Check out the difference in color between the spectacles and brass ramrod tube from the same site. Take note of the picture with the Deus air test on the spectacles at about 2-3 inches.

thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail (4).jpg thumbnail (5).jpg thumbnail (2).jpg thumbnail.jpg thumbnail (3).jpg thumbnail (6).jpg

Upvote 29

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
They might be silver! I saw a guy today at an antique shop selling around 10 separate 17th-19th century spectacles, with most from the 18th century. All of his were made of silver, and way out of my budget. Do they have any flaking at all, if not, they could likely be tarnished silver.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few pairs of spectacles from the early 1900's and they are all marked on the underside of the bridge. Mine are all stamped 1/10th or 1/20th 10k, so they're not valuable. Not sure if they did that back then, but you never know. They look gold plated to me...

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they a strong prescription ? Any markings or stampings?

OP
OP
W

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think they are plated but they seem heavy for brass. I can't find any hallmarks unfortunately. The prescription is definitely noticable.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
with that kind of age I bet an optometrist would check the prescription for you just for the fun

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, I don't recall ever seeing such well preserved 19th-century spectacles posted on T-net before, this is a very exciting find! Definitely mid-1800's, I would bet the last time those glasses were used was to read the news paper articles regarding Bleeding Kansas, the election of Abraham Lincoln, or how this new thing called the Confederacy just appeared in the South.
:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread