Redmond, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro / 12" 300 / Eclipse DD / Eclipse Shooter
|
Bounty Hunter |
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt a lot of state parks that are riddled with trash. Mainly the junk is old pull tabs, new pull tabls and pieces of cans and aluminum foil around trees and picnic areas.

Normally, I'll go do an hour or so after work once a week for a "speed hunt". Since time has been important, I've been trying an experiment to find a bunch of coins/clad really fast.

I've tuned my detector to the Coins+Jewelry mode, turned up the discrimination way high, and turned up the Threshold to a point of silence.

Then I just fly around like a banshee and grab all the surface and/or shallow coins based on VDI range. It's been really effective and have been getting $4 to $5 per hour hunt. Not enough to quit the day job! But enough to replenish my vending machine money each week.

I know I'm passing over potential gold + nickels by x'ing out that +18 to +24 VDI range. But I've been getting a ton of quarters. I like when I see that +82 repeat itself.

Anyone else ever try this approach?

shortcut

Apr 21, 2009
N.W. Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, XP Deus, MXT ALL Pro, Racer, T2 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know the longer I hunt and the more posts I read, I think if you are happy with the results and it works for you then do not worry what others think sure you are passing up some good things but it is a hobby and if that is how you like to hunt keep at it. You can always try other setups when you are in the mood to find other items. The important thing is does it work for you and are you having fun with the results.

Shortcut

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Not only you are happy but you're getting some money out of it. Now maybe when you have a bit more time in the weekends you can try going over the same areas with your disc lower and your threshold higher to pick the deep stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is supposed to be a fun hobby so what ever makes you happy is the way to go. I find I have more fun with detectors without meters myself and use the best headphones I can afford for my fun. Wait till you get a water detector and start wading....:icon_thumleft:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt a lot of state parks that are riddled with trash. Mainly the junk is old pull tabs, new pull tabls and pieces of cans and aluminum foil around trees and picnic areas.

Normally, I'll go do an hour or so after work once a week for a "speed hunt". Since time has been important, I've been trying an experiment to find a bunch of coins/clad really fast.

I've tuned my detector to the Coins+Jewelry mode, turned up the discrimination way high, and turned up the Threshold to a point of silence.

Then I just fly around like a banshee and grab all the surface and/or shallow coins based on VDI range. It's been really effective and have been getting $4 to $5 per hour hunt. Not enough to quit the day job! But enough to replenish my vending machine money each week.

I know I'm passing over potential gold + nickels by x'ing out that +18 to +24 VDI range. But I've been getting a ton of quarters. I like when I see that +82 repeat itself.

Anyone else ever try this approach?

You are making us BOTH happy! You are getting alot of garbage coins out of my way and leaving the gold and deeper targets for me to find. Sounds like a "Win-Win" situation to me!

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
It's a smart idea, vuggy. I've also got an MXT, and recently ( ironically ) I've been going in the opposite direction. At at an old, well-hunted park, I've been using relic mode, discrimination off, Threshold up very high and compensating by turning the volume down on my GG headphones. Then I dig every interesting signal. I've been finding stuff that I've missed in the past. Having said that, there is another newer park down the road from there, and I'm going to try your settings to see how well I do. This hobby is amazing. Where else can you find people having this amount of fun and using such different techniques to get the job done?

OP
OP
vuggy

vuggy

Apr 6, 2012
Redmond, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro / 12" 300 / Eclipse DD / Eclipse Shooter
|
Bounty Hunter |
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is always fun! A great hobby when I can't go rockhounding.

I'll use different settings depending on what mood i'm in, or what time I have to "play". When I'm prospecting old mining camps in the forest, I take a different approach. A lot of iron stuff, but it's just so cool to dig up a piece of a donkey engine or something from the turn of the 20th century. And knowing those guys had it really rough to get such equipment out that far in the mountains back then. A lot of times 'X' doesn't mark the spot of these camps, and the metal detector has help me locate place of the mine camps. Now if I could only find one of them saloon locales. Would love to find some trade tokens.

Next thing we know, they're be a new version of the hobby called metal-caching. Like geocaching, but for detectorists. Find a treasure, then bury and leave a treasure! Who knows, people may already do that in the MD clubs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread