Surf PI vs beachhunter

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ive used cheap metal detectors ocasionaly and can never get them to work on the wet salt sand as they false alarm. I live near the beach in the winter in Florida right on the "treasure coast" Id like to invest in a better machine that can be used under water if I choose to snorkle or buy a Hookah. I can get a mint used beachhunter300 for $500 but reports are that it is hard to tune and gives false signals. The coil floati ng up also seeems to bother a lot of people. Im leaning torward paying $900 for a new Surf PI. I understand this unit works best in the salt but since it lacks discrimination I will have to dig everything. Can you guys give me some feedback on either unit?
Thanx, Barrell

rehless

Mar 23, 2008
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, Surf PI, Tesoro SS, Cibola, Tejon, Troy X2
I have a White's Surf PI and a Dual Field. Nine hundred bucks seems a bit
steep even a new Whites water machine. I dive and snorkel fresh water
and dig it all, love both machines. A lot of people ***** about the coil
being buoyant on the Dual Field, but never been a problem at all for me.
Go for it, you will get signals on all metal you pass over.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past the BHID would leak because of the O ring, but if you have the new orange O ring your good to go for either unit. For best depth in all that changing sand the Dual Field is better than the Beach Hunter ID even with the lighter floating coil. You can always add a sand filled sock for weight in the water and take it off for dry sand hunting. PI's lack good disc and I get tired digging all them deep holes, but at least I know something is down there and it is my decision whether to dig or not.

OP
OP
B

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
What about the loud amplified noise of the wind on outside of the headphones. Is that a problem just with the Whites headphones or with all brands. I tested out a loaner Beachunter this morning and could not hear the background hum whenever the wind hit the muffs.

OP
OP
B

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
Well Ive had it a weak and have found a bunch of change and a few impressive fake rings which made me hold my breath when I saw them in my scoop but yesterday I broke my gold cherry with a nice heavy mens wedding band. Hope to break my diamond cherry this weak.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the loud amplified noise of the wind on outside of the headphones. Is that a problem just with the Whites headphones or with all brands. I tested out a loaner Beachunter this morning and could not hear the background hum whenever the wind hit the muffs.

Most of these water detectors have a drain hole in the muff. Cover this with duct tape to stop a lot of the wind and surf noise.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of these water detectors have a drain hole in the muff. Cover this with duct tape to stop a lot of the wind and surf noise.
Just remember to pull the tape off if you're going underwater so they can drain.

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
Barrell, which one did you get. I couldnt tell from your post

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barrell,
If the floating coil becomes an issue, here's what I do to fix the problem. I'm not a fan of adding a sand filled sock as I don't want any more drag when swinging in the water. I take the lower rod (the tall man rod works the best) and I pour sand inside the rod until there's about 10" of sand in the tube. Then I drop lead fishing weights (egg sinkers) that are just small enough to drop inside the rod. You can get a bucket of water and put the coil and rod assembly in it and add sinkets until you get neutral buoyancy. Then pour melted parifin wax (available at the grocery store in the canning department) to just below the spring buttons. Now you have a weighted lower rod with no extra drag. The detector won't see the lead weights as they are stationary to the coil. You can get the lead out in the future by drilling the wax out with a hand drill.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice idea on the weight issue...

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Whites traded me straight across, my Surf PI had a diving (weighted) coil and I swapped them for a buoyant one

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to make a detector that suits everyone, I didn't like the floating coil when wading but liked it when using it above water. The weighed coil worked best for me when diving. However I never had issues with the CZ-20/21 or Excal in water or land. I guess what bothered me the most was White's advertisement that the coil was near neutral buoyant when it wasn't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread