Spokeshaves or debitage?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I apologize for my artifact ignorance but dang, this forum has helped me ID tools that I might have otherwise let get away. I found these two pieces in a rock shelter this weekend, in close proximity. Both pieces have obvious "work" performed on them and each slightly resembles a few styles of spokeshaves that were posted in this forum a couple weeks ago. I also understand that debitage sometimes takes on an artifact look and feel so my feelings won't be hurt if they are just that.

Attachments

• DSCF1509.JPG
    DSCF1509.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 429
  • DSCF1510.JPG
    DSCF1510.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 403
Upvote 0

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
I agree that they are just flakes but, it is lovely Carter Cave. Now you just need to find the point that resulted!

Chuck

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The right one in the top picture (at left in the second one) is pretty unmistakeably a spokeshave -- as evidenced by the elaborate and careful edge shaping (second picture).

My opinion, and worth what you're paying for it. :laughing7:

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
uniface said:
The right one in the top picture (at left in the second one) is pretty unmistakeably a spokeshave -- as evidenced by the elaborate and careful edge shaping (second picture).

My opinion, and worth what you're paying for it. :laughing7:

Thanks Uniface, your opinion is valued. You did "see" what my camera wasn't able to capture, that being the edge work. I should have done a better job, different angles, etc. The "curve" in the piece on the right may have been ground and/or polished on the "front" side, I can't say for sure.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread