spun- pewter

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
hey all! i went out yesterday with a friend to a old mill site for a couple of hours and this is what i came up with. a pewter spun button you can see the lines in the back. i beleive these are from 1700s i think. my buddy found a very nice intact colonial shoe buckle and a 1856 seated dime. you can tell the place must of been tected before from the lack of coinage. i think the only reason why we got these finds were patience and persistance for me and skill for my buddy. thanx. willy

Attachments

• scan0095.jpg
    scan0095.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 388
  • scan0093.jpg
    scan0093.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 382
  • scan0094.jpg
    scan0094.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 369
Upvote 0

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
That's spun pewter Willy? My buddy and I have found some like that that had held up so well, even when cleaning that we just assumed they were tombac's like the others. We've had just a few pewters in the areas we've hunted, and they were in bad shape, which made me think it more. . .

Nice finds though, keep at it!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
jrsherman said:
That's spun pewter Willy? My buddy and I have found some like that that had held up so well, even when cleaning that we just assumed they were tombac's like the others. We've had just a few pewters in the areas we've hunted, and they were in bad shape, which made me think it more. . .

Nice finds though, keep at it!

I would tend to agree, looks more like a tombac than anything

on a positive note, those buttons show up at pretty old sites, they should have some more old things to find nearby

OP
OP
dfx willy

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
thats the first thing i said to my buddy was tombac because of the condition and he said no spun pewter. were tombacs spun? thanx . willy

Looks like a tombac. Don't let the lack of coinage deter you. I have seen time and time again the best, most valuable finds aren't always coins!
Looks like some potential there.
Nice finds,
Dave.

OP
OP
dfx willy

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
So called Hessian Buttons (also Tomback, Tombac, or Tombak buttons) are usually found along with relics, circa mid-18th to early 19th centuries, at the metal detecting sites in the North-East USA. Unfortunately there is a lack of information on the origin and design of this type of buttons in any available source. I did a little research and found a few small pieces . i think its a tomback button.too. willy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread